Chapter 19

After Michael left, I had no idea what to do. My entire life had just fallen apart in one afternoon. I just sat on the bench across the parking lot, completely numb.

I looked at my phone and realized I had been sitting there for almost 2 hours. School was going to be out soon and I needed to leave before that happened. I didn't need anymore embarrassment for today.

Once again, I had left myself without a ride home so I started my long walk home. All the way home, my mind was blank. I didn't want to think anymore because if I did, I might just fall to pieces. And this time, there would be no one to help put me back together. 

Halfway home, I remembered that I had detention today. But I didn't care. I couldn't care. Not today. Too much has happened. 

For the rest of the way home I kept staring at the ground, trying to keep my mind off everything that has happened today until I reach my driveway. When I look up, I see my parents' car in the driveway.

Oh god. Today was about to get a lot worse. If that was even possible.

I slowly open the door, hoping they wouldn't hear me. But I was going to have to face them sooner or later.

"Jaelyn." My parents say in unison as soon as I'm in the house.

"Mom. Dad." I say quietly, looking away from them. Here comes their inevitable interrogation and lecture. They always do this when they come home. My parents love to know every single thing I have done and then they sit there and lecture me about anything wrong I have done.

"So what have you been up to since we saw you last, sweetheart?" My mom asks.

"Can we not do this tonight? Please? Its been a rough day and I just need to go upstairs and sleep it off." I plead helplessly, knowing they aren't going to listen to me.

"We just got back from a 2-week long trip. We want to know what our daughter has been up to. So take a seat on the couch." My dad pushes. I roll my eyes which earns a look of disapproval from both of them.

"Listen, Michael and I kinda went through some things today and I can't deal with anything else."

"Michael?" My mom questions. She and my dad absolutely hate Michael. They're a little (and by a little, I mean a lot) conservative and Michael appearance paints him as a bad boy. He's never been anything but nice to them but they absolutely hate him. 

I nod hesitantly. I had just made a mistake even mentioning our fight.

"What happened?" She comes over to me and wraps her arm around my shoulders. 

"It doesn't matter." I say vaguely.

"Well its probably for the best. He wasn't the greatest guy for you to be around." I immediately push her arm off me and back away. 

"How would you know? You never gave him a chance!" I said angrily.

"Watch your tone!" My dad scolded.

"No! I won't watch my fucking tone! You just sit there and bash on Michael when you know nothing about him! He is always there for me. Always. Unlike you. You're never here. So you know nothing about me or Michael. You have no right to talk about him. Just shut up." I yell while tears start rolling down my face for the millionth time that day.

"You do not get to talk to us that way! Go upstairs and we will talk to you later." My dad raises his voice.

"Gladly. I hate both of you." I say harshly and then I stomp up the stairs. 

When step into my room, I head straight to my closet and take out my duffel bag. I rip a bunch of shirts off their hangers and stuff them in the bag. I was wandering around my room blinded by tears, throwing things out of their drawers into the bag. 

I looked over to my dresser and see the picture of me and Michael smiling into the camera. I missed him and its only been a couple of hours. I had no idea what I would do without him. I walked over, grabbed the picture and put it in my bag.

I zipped up the bag and threw it around my shoulders. If I didn't have Michael or any of my friends, then I had nothing. I couldn't stay here and be with Ashton and deal with my parents. So I'm leaving. I don't know where I'm going but its going to be somewhere far from here.

I open my door and listen for my parents. I could hear them in the kitchen talking about something so I took the chance and walked quietly down the stairs. Tonight was it, the night I had enough. I slowly open the front door and step out. As soon as the door was closed, I run across the yard and get into my car.

Without another look back, I leave the driveway and drive straight towards the bus station.