Chapter 30

My heart nearly stopped at Michael's words. Something was definitely wrong and I'm not sure I wanted to find out what.

First he avoided me all day and now he says we have to talk. I was starting to really worry.

"Ok. Sure. What about?" I stop in my tracks.

"Um...we need to talk alone." He says and looks in the direction of Adley and Luke. They were walking down the front porch steps whispering to each other. They were such a cute couple and everything was so easy for them. Why couldn't be like that for me and Michael?

"Right. Hey Adley!" I call for her and she walks back towards where Michael and I were standing. "You guys go on ahead. We'll catch up in a couple minutes." She nods and heads back to where Luke stood waiting for her.

Michael takes my arm and leads me upstairs to his room. As weird as it may sound, his room has always been my favorite place to be. It felt safe and made me feel like everything was ok. Just like I felt with Michael.

He sits on his bed and nods toward the spot next to him for me to sit. I do and all I can feel is fear at what he is about to tell me. My heart was beating so fast I think Michael could even hear it.

He clears his throat before beginning. "So I have something to tell you."

"Yeah, I got that." I say quickly, begging him to go on. The suspense itself would kill me before he even got to his point.

Michael takes several deep breaths in and out before continuing. Whatever he wanted to say, he was having trouble with it. Now I knew for sure I wasn't going to like what he was going to say.

"I-I did something...bad." Michael says while looking down. Oh shit.

"Michael. Look at me. Please look at me." I beg. I couldn't stand this.

He looks up at me. And the look on his face made me regret asking him to. He looked...guilty. His eyes were red like he's been crying and he's still trying to dodge my gaze.

"I'm so sorry." He chokes out. "I love you so much." He brings his hand up to my face and wipes away a tear I didn't know was there.

"Michael. What? Please. Whats going on? You're killing me here." I laugh weakly.

He stops again and I swear I almost lost it. "Michael! Please!" I beg again through my tears. It felt like we were stuck in silence for hours.

"I...I cheated." At first I swore I didn't hear him right. But then he said it again and again. Then I thought it was a joke so I busted out laughing. "Jaelyn please."

I stop laughing. And we sat there in silence for what seemed like forever. "Michael. No. You didn't. Please, you didn't." I cry.

This was a joke. This entire day was a joke. And I wanted it to be over.

"I'm so sorry, Jaelyn. I am. I really am." I shoot off the bed. All of the sudden, Michael's room, my safe place, felt like the last place I ever wanted to be. I back as far away from him as possible without walking out the door completely.

"How could you do this to me?" I whisper. 

I didn't trust myself around him anymore. I needed to get out of there.

"Fuck you, Michael." I spit out and turn to leave.

"J, please. We can work this out." Michael pleads and follows me. "Where are you going? Come back."

"Leave me the hell alone Michael. I want nothing to do with you. Nothing." I yell and run downstairs to my room. I throw all my stuff into a bag, not even caring about folding anything. I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible.

"What are you doing?" I turn to see him standing the doorway. He looks devastated. But why should he be the one devastated? Its not fair. He doesn't have the right after what he did to me.

"What do you think? I'm leaving." I push past him and head to the front door.

"J." His voice breaks. But I don't stop running to my car. I don't stop driving until I'm far enough from his house. When I know he isn't following me, I pull to the side of the road and completely break down. I let the tears flow freely and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

Whats worse is he let me go. He let me walk out of the door without even trying to stop me.

The one person I trusted more than anyone had let me down. And the fall hurt worse than anything Ashton or my parents could have ever done to me.