Chapter 18

The entire lunchroom was staring either at me or after Michael. He just caused what neither of us wanted, attention. 

I heard Adley sniffle beside me. I couldn't bring myself to even look at her. I never thought how much it would actually hurt her that Michael and I never told her about our relationship.

"Is that true, Jaelyn?" She asks quietly. I could tell she was trying not to cry. "Are you and Michael together?"

"We...were. I guess." And with that I burst into tears again. "I'm sorry I have to go." I get up and run out of the room. This entire situation was embarrassing.

I run straight to the bathroom and lock the door. I just needed to be alone right now and cry in private instead of in front of the whole school.

Someone started banging on the bathroom door. Why couldn't I be left alone for just a little bit? Instead of ignoring the banging like I wanted to do, I went over and unlocked it. As soon as I did, Adley comes marching in.

"What the hell?" She wasn't upset anymore, she was furious. "You were the girl? The one Michael was with and you didn't even tell me?"

"Adley please-"

"No! We were supposed to be best friends! You should have told me." She continues to yell.

"I know-"

"Just please let me talk! For once! You and Michael are our two closest friends and you hid this from us. We were supposed to tell each other everything. We were supposed to be best friends!"

"Were? Adley please." I beg, she couldn't do this now, not after Michael broke up with me. I needed her.

"Yeah, were. Because we're done too. I can't trust you anymore so whats the point of being friends?" 

"No, please. I need you! Michael just broke up with me and I need someone. Don't do this to me, I'm begging!" I plead, knowing it was useless.

She just shake her head and leaves the bathroom. I just lost two of my best friends. This day really couldn't get any worse.

I walk out of the bathroom and head towards the school exit. I couldn't be here anymore today, not after everything that just happened.

When I open the doors, the sunlight momentarily blinds me. But after I blink a couple of times, I can see Michael sitting on a bench across the school parking lot. Maybe I could just talk to him. We could fix this. I know we can.

Without another thought, I run over to where he is sitting. "Michael!"

He turns around and right when he sees me coming towards him, he immediately gets up to leave. 

"Michael! Can we please talk?" I ask when I get closer.

"Talk about what? How you completely lied to me? Yeah, lets talk about it." He folds his arms over his chest. He stares at me waiting for my response. Which I didn't have. "Exactly. There is nothing to talk about. I meant what I said. We are over." 

"Michael please don't do this. Ok? You can't leave me like this! You're my best friend!" I say, starting to cry again.

"Exactly!" He yells, his voice rising even louder. "I dont want to be your 'friend' Jaelyn! I don't want that! I want more than that. I want you to myself! No Ashton, no 'friends', no secret! And apparently you don't feel the same. You will never leave Ashton. I don't know why I thought you would. You always be a scared little bitch too afraid to be with someone way better for you!" 

His words felt like a painful slap to the face. I took a step back, away from him. No  matter how mad he was at me, he had no right to say that. "You have no clue what its like!" I yell back.

"Maybe I don't but you didn't have to lie to me!"

"You don't know anything, Michael! You don't know what he does to me." He just rolls his eyes.

"God, you are so pathetic! Get over yourself. We're done here." He turns to leave.

"So what? You're just going to leave? You're just going to walk out on this? On us?" I yell.

He doesn't answer at first. I was afraid he was just going to leave without sayig anything but what he actually said was much worse.

"You walked out first, Jaelyn. In fact, you were never even in this. You never had the intention of leaving Ashton. We were just kidding ourselves that this would ever work. So you can forget this ever happened." He finally lowers his voice but his words were louder than ever.

"But we can still be friends." I say with uncertainty.

He shakes his head once again. "No. I don't want to ever hear from you again, actually. So here is how its going to work: do not call me, do not text me, do not come to my house. Just forget about me and move on. Go be happy with Ashton."

"How do you except me to do that, Michael? You are all I've ever known! I can't live without you. We have been friends our entire lives and now you want to just throw it all away."

"I guess you'll just have to find a way. Goodbye, Jaelyn." And with that, Michael Clifford, the boy with the blue hair, faded band tees, and a smile that could lighten anyones day, walked out of my life.