Chapter 31

I don't know why but I when I had finally gathered myself together enough to drive, I went right to the school.

I stopped in the parking lot and walked slowly to the park bench where Michael and I always sat together. I was just torturing myself even more but sitting here but what else could I do?

It feels like my heart has been torn into millions of tiny little pieces. I guess that's how you know you're in love, it hurts like hell when its over.

I sat there alone for a little bit until I heard footsteps walk up behind me. "Michael?" I look up, hoping it was him. I wanted more than anything for him to jump out and laughing, saying how he was just kidding. But I was fooling myself.

"No. Sorry to disappoint you." I heard a familiar, deep voice say. I turn to see Calum standing behind me.

"Calum. Hi." I wave weakly.

"Are you ok?" He sits down and puts his arm around me, trying to comfort me.

"Uh, no. Not really. But its fine. You don't have to worry about me. Thanks though." I smile and shrug away from him.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asks. God, Calum was such a nice guy but I didn't really want company right now. I shake my head and he stays quiet.

"Jaelyn? Cal? What are you guys doing here?" I hear Ashton approach us.

"Oh I was just leaving. Bye Jaelyn." Calum waves goodbye. "See ya Ash."

When Calum was out of sight, Ashton sits where Calum was sitting before.

"What's up?" He asks casually.

I don't answer at first. I know I shouldn't trust him but I was falling apart and I needed someone hold me together. So without warning, tears find their way down my face again and I found myself telling Ashton everything.

I told him about my parents, running away, Adley, and Michael. And he just sat there listening, not interrupting once.

"He cheated. Michael cheated on me." I concluded and saying it made it become real. "He actually cheated on me."

"Like I did." He said quietly.

I nod. I'm not sure what he was doing here or what game he is playing.

"Oh my god. I was such an asshole. I didn't even think about how much it hurt you." He said. I'm not sure if he was telling that to me or himself. "I hurt you so much and I don't want to. I don't like hurting you."

"Ashton."

"No. I know it doesn't seem like it but I love you, Jaelyn, I really do. And I want you to be happy." He explains. I'm not sure what made him change. But I liked it. "And Michael makes you happy. He makes you happy in a way I never could."

I nod again, agreeing with him.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I'm an asshole. Please forgive me. I'm begging for you to please forgive me, Jaelyn."

I pause, thinking about this. Ashton seemed like he was really sorry but I'm not sure I could trust him. But I've already lost everything so I guess I'll take the risk.

"I forgive you Ashton." I say, easing his mind. "You know, you're not such a bad guy when we're not dating." I laugh trying to lighten the situation.

He laughs too, "I'm glad you think so but there is something you need to know."

Ugh not this again. I've already taken as much bad new as I could handle today.

"Michael didn't cheat on you." He tells me. What the hell is going on? First he cheated, but then he didn't. My world was getting flipped completely upside down today. "I was really jealous that he had been able to make you so much happier than I ever could. I wanted you back."

"Ashton...what did you do?" I swear to god I was going to kill him.

"I told him he had to break up with you. That he had to make you hate him so that-"

"So that I would come back to you." I finish for him. "What the fuck Ashton? Do you realize what you've done?" I stand up, yelling at him.

"Yes and I'm sorry! You have to believe me." And for whatever reason, I'm not sure why, but I did. I believed him. And I wasn't even mad. Michael hadn't cheated on me. Things were going to be ok.

"I do. I believe you Ashton. And surprisingly, I forgive you." He looks at me in complete shock.

"You do?" He asks. I nod. "Jaelyn, you have to go get him. Go back to Michael's house and explain everything to him. You guys deserve each other and I'm not going to stand in the way anymore."

I grab my purse and my keys off the bench and run to my car. "Wait, Jaelyn!" I stop. "Just do me a favor and invite me to the wedding!" He yells and laughs.

"Of course! See you later Ashton!" And I drive about 15 miles over the speed limit to get back to Michael's house. God, I loved this idiot. I loved him so much.