Chapter 24

The first day in the car with Ashton went by as well as you would expect from that situation. Michael sat in the backseat not breathing a word. And I unwillingly sat in the front dodging all of Ashton's stupid questions about Michael and I's relationship. 

Michael and I continued to text back and forth until eventually his phone died. But by then, just knowing he was back there was enough. I never wanted to be alone with Ashton again and I know Michael will do anything in his power to make sure that happens.

"Hello? Jaelyn?" Ashton taps me on the shoulder. I flinch. After everything we've been through, I will never trust Ashton. "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

"Sure. What do you want?" I mumble.

"It's 1 in the morning and we're running out of gas." He replies and points to the gas gauge.

"Oh. Well we can stop at a gas station and I can take over driving, I guess." I shrug. "And you can rest for a while in the backseat."

He chuckles. "Not a chance. Michael is staying in the back." I ignore him. I knew asking that was a longshot.

After about 5 minutes, Ashton leaves the highway on the nearest exit. He drives to a gas station and stops at a pump. "You want to fill up the car while I go get food?" He asks, getting out. I look back and see that Michael was fast asleep.

"Sure. Do you have money?" I stretch my hand out, reaching for money.

"I'll pay inside. Don't worry about it." He says as he walks away. 

I turn towards the gas pump and start to fill up the car. I jump when I feel cold arms grab my waist. Then his lips find their way to my neck.

"Michael." I whisper softly. I turn back to face him. "I thought you were sleeping."

"Eh. I was only pretending too. It is not humanly possible to fall asleep in that damn backseat. This trip is making me hate that asshole even more." He nods towards the direction Ashton walked in.

"At least he's getting us home." I sigh. "And I'm surprised you could actually stay quiet that long." I laugh.

"Yeah well don't get too excited. The moment we get home, I'm going to talk for hours on end. I will talk for so long that you will be so sick of my voice." He whispers in my ear.

"I could never be sick of your voice. I could listen to you talk forever and never get tired of it." I tell him. He smiles back at me and runs back into the car. I looked at him, confused until I heard Ashton across the parking lot.

"Is the car filled up yet?" I spin around in his direction. I hear the click of the gas pump, telling me its done.

"Uh, yeah." He walks toward me with a plastic bag filled to the top with candy, bags of chips, and a few soda bottles. "Oh, you got some to share?" I point to the bag.

"Hell no. This is all mine. Get your own food." Ashton swings the passenger door open and jumps in. I roll my eyes and put the pump back in its spot. I walk into the gas station and immediately go to the coffee machine. If I was going to be driving all night, I would need some help staying awake. 

After I grab my drink, I go down the candy aisle and pick up a few things I know Michael would like.

"That's going to be $5.87." The cashier says after ringing up my purchases. I handed her a couple of bills. While she counted back my change, I looked up at the TV in the corner. And I saw Michael's face. And mine.

"Shit." I curse under my breath.

"Excuse me?" The lady looks up at me.

"Oh, uh, nothing. K-keep the change." I tell her as I run out the door and straight to the car. When I was finally in the car, I put it in drive and raced out of the parking lot. I was breathing fast and the boys noticed.

"What, did you just finish running a marathon or something?" Ashton asks at the same time Michael asks, "Are you ok?" Ashton shoots a glare back at Michael.

"Oh get over it man." Michael yells.

"We're on the news." I say breathlessly.

"What?" They say at the same time.

"We are on the news." I repeat. "They're looking for us."

"Well when you leave town in the middle of the night and don't tell your semi-famous lawyer parents, I suppose thats bound to happen." Ashton explains."Being the smart guy I am, I told my parents I was leaving and would be gone for a few days." 

I frown. I should've thought about that. Both of my parents are lawyers. Good ones. And they have connections. Our capture is inevitable.

"Whatever. We'll be home in like 12 hours if we go as fast as we can." I tell them. "We just can't stop anymore or someone might recognize us."

"Okkkk." Michael says skeptically. "But we can't go 12 hours without gas or food." Leave it to Micael to rain on everyone's parade.

"I'm not missing." Ashton points out. "I can go inside and stuff." I nod, that was our best bet, unfortunately. "Or, Jaelyn, you can call your parents and tell them your fine and on your way home. Which would be the more reasonable option." 

"Nope, not happening." I say quickly.

"Fine. Whatever. But if we get caught, its your fault." Ashton says.

"Fine whatever." I mock him. He doesn't say anything back so I plug my phone into his car and turn on my music.

"Hey." He slaps my hand away. "Rule number one: My car, my music."

"Sorry but driver picks music." And like the immature teenager I am, I stick my tongue out at him. He chooses to leave it alone. So we cruise down the highway with the new All Time Low album blasting through the speakers.

Until we hear sirens and see flashing lights gaining behind us. We're screwed.