26 | Somewhat Of An Apology

26| SOMEWHAT OF AN APOLOGY

"Mr. Nott, if you could bother to open your book, I'm sure all of us would be grateful," said Professor Snape, wearing a grim look that perfectly matched the cold, tenebrous atmosphere of the Potions classroom. His unamused obsidian eyes were drilling holes into Theodore, who had messed up his potion because Draco had challenged him to brew it without looking into his book.

Gritting his teeth as he heard Draco sniggering under his breath, Theodore cleared his workstation and opened his book with much more force than necessary, flicking through the pages till he found the right one. He was lagging, on the same level as Goyle and Crabbe now. Beside him, he could glimpse Gemini listlessly leaning against the table, having finished brewing her potion.

"The textbook finally started to look appealing?" taunted Draco, who himself wasn't done with his potion.

"If I recollect correctly, Mr. Malfoy," started Snape in a deadly, disapproving tone, "I did not permit you to speak in class. I am certain Mr. Nott has enough wit to read the recipe correctly from his book without your unsolicited assistance."

Draco scowled at him.

"Your expressions of resentment mean nothing to me. Now make yourself useful and complete your work in silence."

There were only fifteen minutes or so left for the bell to ring and Snape had mentioned he would be making an important announcement at the end of the lesson, which was majorly the only reason why more than half the class was done with their antidotes so early today. Snape had dedicated the entire lesson to practising antidotes, since, as he had declared:

"Save for a handful of students, the only potential this class has is to be a historical failure. Never has a batch of Slytherins been so disappointing in Potions — Miss Davis, pay attention to your cauldron!"

There was a look of deep torment etched onto his features as his unpleasant gaze swept over them, landing on Crabbe, whose cauldron had reduced to ashes, and Goyle, whose antidote was emitting a very foul smell. He clucked and flicked his wand, making Goyle's cauldron disappear. Draco and Theodore, who were now the only ones left, sped up a little.

"Since Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Nott have, at long last, finished brewing their antidote," called Snape after about ten minutes, "I request your undivided attention."

Everyone responded to his call more sincerely than they ever had. An enthusiastic buzz travelled around the classroom.

Snape proceeded with an unaffected look, "As a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament, champions and students alike are invited to the Yule Ball — an event which offers an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests." The very prospect of talking to people seemed to appal him.

Pansy and her circle of girls started giggling and whispering erratically. Snape shot them a vicious glare which shut them up.

"All those in and above fourth year are allowed to attend the Ball and are requested to bring partners. The partners you invite may be younger — though I strongly oppose the idea," he added, looking like he was trying to almost force each word out of his mouth. "Students are required to adhere to the dress code, that is dress robes. The ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Pre-eminent behaviour is expected of you all. If any of you shall embarrass the Slytherin house in any way, I will personally ensure that you are seen to sincerely."