12 | A Mind Impenetrable Is Always Imperious

12| A MIND IMPENETRABLE IS ALWAYS IMPERIOUS

The rapid arrival of the month of October had sent all the students into a frenzy. Excited whispers echoed in the castle walls about the Triwizard Tournament. Several people were already prepping to take part in the tournament, the dream of winning a thousand galleons and eternal glory glittering in their eyes. The professors were all equally enthusiastic, but their enthusiasm differed starkly from the students'.

All the fourth years had noticed a definite increase in the amount of work they were required to do this term. The Slytherin common room was filled with groans from the students who were trying to fill up sheaves of parchment with relevant or irrelevant information on the goblin rebellion or Transfiguration spells.

People like Draco Malfoy, who had taken Divination, were meticulously planning Professor Trelawney's death rather than catastrophic ideas for their own assignments. Gemini and Blaise would spend their time taunting and laughing at them in a corner of the common room, having completed their meagre Arithmancy homework. As such, Draco found it perfectly reasonable to throw apples at them every now and then.

Moreover, he seemed incredibly irked at the fact that Harry Potter and Ron Weasley had fetched better marks than him in Divination.

"Top marks!" he'd said. "Those idiots! But divination is a waste anyway... Trelawney is a complete fraud, I tell you —"

And he had gone on for an hour.

To their surprise, Professor Moody had announced that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of them in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether they could resist its effects.

"Finally! Something fun!" said Draco.

Moody gave Draco a diabolic look, his face and scars twisting abysmally. "Oh, Mr. Malfoy, we'll see how funny it is to you after I manage to make you —"

"Bounce around like a ferret again?" Gemini prompted. Draco slapped her arm with his book. "Ouch — no — bad Draco!" she said.

Blaise started laughing — actually laughing at this.

Even Moody gave a disfigured smile of amusement. "I'll take that into consideration, Miss Delmar," he said. Then he shot a look of distaste at Draco. "amongst other ideas..." he growled.

"Shut it, Delmar," scowled Pansy.

"Your girlfriend's quite protective, Draco," Gemini whispered. 

"Turn around, turn around," Blaise spoke in Gemini's ear, putting an arm around her shoulder to turn her towards Moody, whose blue eye was roaming around in its socket, unable to pick a target.