09 | To The Place The Gargoyle Conceals

09| TO THE PLACE THE GARGOYLE CONCEALS

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

09| TO THE PLACE THE GARGOYLE CONCEALS

Unblinking stormy grey eyes looked intently at the patterns on the dark ceiling, illuminated by the little light penetrating through the thick glass windows. The Slytherin girls' dormitory was enveloped in darkness and time ticked timelessly. The night enjoyed itself while it lasted, stars shone high up above in the velvet sky; far out of Gemini's reach.

Midnight seemed to be the longest phase of the night.

Gemini's watch lay beside her on her nightstand, its soft mechanical sounds echoing loudly in her ears. She had been lying on her bed for hours, hoping fruitlessly to drift into slumber.

Beside her lay Daphne Greengrass, sleeping peacefully, having not a care in the world. Gemini's bed was at the far end of the room, against a cold stone wall. An enormous window, starting a foot above the ground and stretching almost to the top of the low ceiling separated her and Daphne's bed, giving Gemini her own space.

Her mind wandered aimlessly, dallying from one topic to another. When her eyes had traced every single carving on the ceiling and studied the large chandelier intricately, thinking about everything and nothing all at once, she removed herself from her warm bed and soft sheets and meandered with soft footsteps to the common room.

The common room was lit more generously than her dorm, by green lanterns and the dull green tinge coming from the water of the Black lake beyond windows similar to the ones in her dorm. The common room had low-backed black and dark green button-tufted, leather sofas; armchairs that were no less beautiful than individual thrones; and wooden chairs, accompanied by tables, which were carved in serpentine motifs.

But Gemini neglected them all and ambled to one of the windows, seating herself at the base of it. Pulling her legs to her chest, she folded her arms around her stomach and leaned her head against the cool glass of the window, watching and waiting for the giant squid, which passed by often, or an occasional grindylow; and if they wished to present themselves — the selkies.

The pale glow of the water illuminated her features, dancing gently over her bare shoulders and naked feet. She was wearing but a pair of powder-blue shorts and a singlet, both made out of fine silk. The cold numbed her fingertips and toes, and she revelled in the sensation.

Gemini sat there frivolously for another few hours until a lone thought floated across her mind.

She rose to her feet and started walking, barefoot and still in her pyjamas, to the headmaster's office to pay him a requisite visit. The bleak night air ricocheted off her skin harshly, blowing back her undone hair. Not having her wand to irradiate her path, Gemini stared around in the darkness, catching a glimpse of some sort of ornament or object every now and then when the silver beam of moonlight reflected off them. She went through the winding corridors and halls, and barely discerned the stairwell gargoyle when she materialised at the base of the headmaster's tower.