08 | Of Skrewts And Bouncing Ferrets

08| OF SKREWTS AND BOUNCING FERRETS

The storm had subsided the next morning, but the cold still nipped at her skin as Gemini traversed down the sloping lawn toward Hagrid's small wooden cabin, which stood on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Now, Gemini — who had extremely sensitive skin, had her nose and cheeks blossoming with a light pink colour. The fact that her skin was pale only enhanced the pink, and Gemini was tired of being 'awwwed' at by Draco since morning. 

Galleon, who she carried in her arms, rubbed his snout against her cheek affectionately, trying to convince her to let him go. She laughed softly at him but dismissed his plea.

As the lush green forest came into sight, Galleon gave a great lurch and Gemini couldn't hold him back. He scurried around on the freshly watered, green ground, and then tilted his snout up to ask for Twig, who had been napping in Gemini's hair the entire journey, finding it akin to a warm bed. Gemini picked him off her head and he woke up with a squeal. 

"C'mon, Twig," she whispered to him, "time to wake up."

Chuckling, she handed him over to Galleon, who safely put the bowtruckle in his pocket, and nuzzled Gemini's leg once before shooting off to find his lair of stolen fortunes. As Gemini leisurely travelled down the slope, Blaise appeared by her side, his hands in his pockets, just like her.

Blaise and Gemini had what one would call something between friendship and being acquaintances. They were both not interested in having a friend — they were better off alone, and perhaps their similarity was what brought them on good terms with each other, and also what prevented Gemini from being involved with him in something more than friendship. 

Another comparatively more valid reason was that Blaise, though a complete gentleman most of the time, could be a huge pervert when he so desired, and Gemini was his usual prey.

So Blaise, being his usual self, casually removed one of Gemini's hands from her pocket and reached into it instead to pull out her watch. Wrapping the chain around his palm, he examined the brass metal.

"What..."

"It's ancient, why do you keep it?" he said.

Gemini sighed and stretched out both her hands, unwrapping the chain and taking back the watch. "It's none of your concern," she replied, pocketing her watch again as the other Slytherins caught up and they arrived at their destination where Hagrid was already speaking about some unfamiliar creatures in some open wooden crates at his feet.

They looked like deformed, shell-less lobsters, horribly pale and slimy-looking, with legs sticking out in very odd places and no visible heads. The "Blast-Ended Skrewts", as Hagrid called them, were each about six inches long, crawling over one another, bumping blindly into the sides of the boxes. They gave off a very powerful smell of rotting fish.