11 | The Twin Jesters

11| THE TWIN JESTERS

Gemini sat on one of the highest and sturdiest branches of the beech tree at the edge of the Black Lake, leaning her back against the thick bark of the tree as one of her legs dangled from the branch while the other supported the book she was reading. Warm sunlight filtered through the apertures in the tree's shade, making the Sunday afternoon more enjoyable for her.

Moreover, she had put her record player on another branch of the tree which was near enough for her to hear the music that softly played from it and drifted around her. With the lake glittering in front of her and the distant chirping of birds, Gemini found it all impeccable. The Giant Squid seemed to share her spirits as it basked in the shallows and occasionally raised one of its tentacles above the surface to wave at people the same way it had greeted her.

"Hey Jude, don't let me down
You have found her, now go and get her
Remember to let her into your heart,
Then you can start to make it better."

Gemini found her lips softly tracing the words.

'Hey Jude' by The Beatles was one of her most favourite songs. It was the perfect song for cheering someone up; the way it went from a slow, sad tune to a more lively beat.

And it was exactly what she needed at the moment.

She would never admit it to herself, let alone someone else, that the response that Dumbledore had enlightened her with had stung her a bit. She knew that her expectations had been too high, but what the letter read was the complete opposite of what she had wanted.

She could feel his distaste at the knowledge he had received from her, written so plainly in ink. Gemini's mind was conflicted with itself. Part of her was filled to the brim with hope — something she was already regretting allowing herself to have. The other was an ocean of pain that sought to drown her right to the bottom.

But she had resolved to hold onto this ray of hope, not for her own good, but for the sake of others. Gemini knew she was too far gone to pray, the normalcy of life had left her when she was but a child.

The mere thought of it made her shut her eyes and block her resurfacing memories. When her eyelashes fluttered open again, there was nothing but silence and the smell of old parchment surrounding her. She looked over to the player to see that the disc had stopped spinning. She sighed and put the disc back in her bag with a swish of her wand.

"Listening to a little music, are we?"

Gemini looked down and found the Weasley twins staring up at her with an identical mischievous gleam in their eyes.

"What are you two up to? Stalking people?" she responded, swinging her left leg over the branch to enable herself to sit properly, both legs now swaying from the branch.