20 | Has Potter Got A Girlfriend?

20| HAS POTTER GOT A GIRLFRIEND?

Over the next couple of weeks following Gemini's first detention, the school was buzzing with the latest article that had appeared in the Daily Prophet regarding the Triwizard Tournament. It was insanely obtrusive and was centred wholly around Harry Potter and his miserable life.

Draco, naturally, found this to be an excellent excuse to pull out his list of insults again. Even Gemini couldn't find it in herself to blame him, considering how hilarious the article actually was. It read a detailed description of what The Boy Who Lived had apparently admitted during his interview with Rita Skeeter:

'I suppose I get my strength from my parents. I know they'd be very proud of me if they could see me now... Yes, sometimes at night I still cry about them, I'm not ashamed to admit it... I know nothing will hurt me during the tournament, because they're watching over me....'

But this wasn't all; much of the front page had been given over to a picture of him; the article (continuing on pages two, six, and seven) had been all about Potter, the names of the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang champions (misspelled) had been squashed into the last line of the article, and Diggory hadn't been mentioned at all.

Another extract read:

'Harry has at last found love at Hogwarts. His close friend, Colin Creevey, says that Harry is rarely seen out of the company of one Hermione Granger, a stunningly pretty Muggle-born girl who, like Harry, is one of the top students in the school.'

The responsibility for obnoxiously blabbering on this particular paragraph had been taken by Pansy.

"Stunningly pretty? Her?" she had shrieked the first time she had come face-to-face with Hermione after Rita's article had appeared. "What was she judging against — a chipmunk?"

Hermione took it rather well, simply stalking past Pansy and the other Slytherin girls who sniggered at her every time she entered their line of sight. Gemini and Blaise only watched from the sidelines. It became more of a routine eventually — Draco made sure to quote a line from the article every time he crossed either of the two Gryffindors. 

"Since when have you been one of the top students in the school, Potter? Or is this a school you and Longbottom have set up together?" he had goaded on one of the several occasions, with Crabbe and Goyle bursting into enormous belly laughs behind him. Gemini, who had been passing by with Blaise by her side, had swiftly grabbed the blond boy's collar and pulled him along to the library with a roll of her eyes.

The worst part of it all was that he got a reaction every single time — whether it was a direct comeback or a suppressed noise of frustration or even, occasionally, a threat. Gryffindors seemed to be oblivious to the concept of tolerance. Potter certainly had a temper — a disadvantageous factor, she believed, for his circumstance.