20

— The Fourth of July —

Elizabeth blinked, wondering why the fuck she was being offered the feet of an elephant. chewing the inside of her cheek she glanced over at the fathers in the living room, making eye contact with some of them.

"Why am I being offered a dusty whale blubber?"

Lenny snorted which resulted in a domino effect of everyone in the room laughing along.

Inwardly she smirked however she didn't show it, "It is a pancake!"

scoffing, Rob turned around muttering, "If I didn't know any better I'd say you were lennys kid."

kissing her teeth, the woman shrugged. "I will be one day." she knew her sentence was a bold one but come on. she will be his kid one day. just not by blood until Ethan feels comfortable enough to start a family with her.

from the kitchen table, Ethan choked on a piece of orange he was eating — since he didn't want to eat the whale blubber — and his face turns a deep red.

seeing this Elizabeth felt pride fill her chest. she'll miss making him look and feel like that. she'll miss him.... luckily that's what technology is for.

earlier this morning, everyone had gathered on the dock and raised the flag as Lenny wished everyone a happy fourth of July.

currently, after tossing the whale's dusty foot onto a plate and deciding to share an orange with Ethan instead, Elizabeth sat at the kitchen table as Sally and Roxanne sat at a round table closer to the kitchen with a sewing machine. what they were making, she had no clue, but if they needed help she would gladly offer.

luckily the bird that Eric had nearly killed yesterday had gotten better, unluckily for Becky, the bird was ready to be let out. which is what she did with the help of her father when they raised the flag.

it saddened her, much to her brother's dismay but she was getting older which meant learning to let things go.

"You know, these guys at the store were talking so much smack about this basketball rematch that's supposed to go on," Amber spoke, helping Gloria shred some spinach at the kitchen island.

"Really?" everyone harmonized.

"Well, I'm glad we're getting these uniforms ready."