Chapter 6: Hard Crack Stage

The rest of the week sort of went by in a blur. Like a bad fever dream with lots of sandwich orders and Hilary constantly squealing and giggle at me. I swear you be nice to her one time and suddenly she thinks you're her new best friend.

Sigh.

Okay so after I helped her win that claw machine she switched lunch tables and sat with me and Wes much to the annoyance of all her friends. Wes kept giving me that face, the Poppy you've done it now, face. I kept giving him the, lay off me will ya, face.

Zoey was avoiding me, yet again. This time I have no clue why. Every time I would see her in the hall the moment I would try and walk over to her she would get the heck out of there as fast as she could. I could see her staring at me and Hilary sometimes. Which just makes me madder at Hilary and want to get away from her.

Hilary has definitely become that annoying person people pretend they love when in reality everyone hates and talks about them behind their back. And by everyone, I mean me. It's like a walking nightmare every time I turn the corner, there she freaking is!

Just when I think I've finally lost her, BAM! She comes up behind me and hugs me. I swear I wake up screaming expecting her to be standing over me and watching me sleep. The girl does not know the definition of personal space.

Also, she's made it a regular thing to come and bug me at work. I've been working on my plan to hook her and Alvin up but just when I think the two are hitting it off, he says something dumb and screws it up. Or she will completely miss her chance or blatantly ignore his flirting. Gah! I just want to grab their faces and smash them together and say kiss already.

I don't even think Alvin likes her like that, but he is just a natural flirt anyway. Leftover charm from his pretty boy days. He can't help himself. He flirts with anything breathing or pretty looking. Guy has a desperation about him, it's kind of sad really.

I think he might still be in love with his ex, he talks about her a lot. I don't even think he notices he's doing it. Poor guy, he might be single for a while if he keeps going the way he is going.

Saturday morning came and I felt someone sit next to me on my bed. I thought my nightmare was about to come true and I was going to find Hilary staring at me with those creepy lavender eyes. But when I opened my eyes it wasn't Scary Hilary, it was Zoey.

Wonderful, beautiful, Zoey.

"Zoey! What are you doing here?" I sat up.

The mirror adjacent to my bed showed me my bed head and I cringed quickly fixing my hair.

"I heard from Hilary that you guys are hanging out today." She avoided eye contact.

"Yeah... we are..." I eyed her.

She was silent.

"Well, you didn't come all the way here just to confirm that so what's up? You still mad at me?" I crossed my legs and gave her my full undivided attention.

She sighed and slouched down in defeat. Her eyes stayed glued to the ground. I watched her clench and unclench the bedsheets in her hand.

"Zoey?" I moved closer.

"I... I think I'm going to tell Hilary how I feel."

"What! Now? Today!?"

She nodded.

"No. No, no, no. You don't want to do that. No! Bad plan, abort, abort."

"Poppy!" she turned to me obviously in distress.

"Zoey! You can't just go up to her and say that! Hilary will totally freak out. Besides we've been over this. She's not even looking for a relationship right now, she told me."