Chapter 13: Carmel

On the long list of things I try to avoid at all costs, waking up early to get dressed to sit out in the sun and watch a sports game is certainly at the top. For many reasons, ranging from I hate the sun, I hate sports, I hate people, but most of all I hate waking up early when I don't have to. But these are the sacrifices one must make when trying to be a good girlfriend.

That's weird to say.

Girlfriend.

Hillary King is my girlfriend.

Though I guess no one would know it by looking at us. I mean after Wednesday I thought she would be all over me any chance she got, especially at school. But she was pretty much her usual Hilary self. The only thing that changed was that she would sneak in cheek kisses more often or give me a peck or two at work.

So I guess no one knows if we are really together or not.

Which is good for me, I don't want Zoey catching wind of this. I mean the girl hates me enough already without hearing this. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen Zoey since the meltdown. Part of me is relieved that she is purposely avoiding me, the other part...

"Since when do you actually like sports?" Mom asks as she sees me put on my go Bulldogs hat.

"And since when do you like them enough to go to a game?" Lashawn adds.

"Hilary plays on the softball team; I'm just going to show my support. Geez, lay off." I complain as I tighten my shoelaces.

"Oh, Hilary," mom says in her knowing mom voice.

I feel my cheeks heat up.

I see Georgia giggle from where she sat at the kitchen bar eating cereal.

"What?" I snap at them when they all stare at me silently.

"Nothing," mom says too quickly.

"Maybe we can come with," Lashawn volunteers.

"I want to go!" Georgia quickly shot out of her chair.

"No!" I say.

"Why not? It sounds fun," mom adds.

"B-Because..." I can't think of any reason.

"Is there something you want to tell us?" mom asks.

"Just hurry up and get dressed so we can go already," I push her up the stairs.

She laughs.

"Yay! We're going with Poppy!" Georgia runs up the stairs.

I groan and sit at the bar, finishing my sister's cereal.

When we get to the stadium, I can see Hilary dressed out in her uniform warming up. I smile at her and wave, she drops her bat and runs over to me. Before I can stop her she tackles me in a hug, nearly knocking me over if Lashawn hadn't caught us.

"You came," she squealed.

"I said I would," I point out.

"Yeah but I know you are very selective on how you use your free time," she teases.

"Well, you should feel honored." I tease back.

"Thank you, oh great poppy."

We both giggle.

"Hello Hilary, hope you don't mind we tagged along," Mom says.

"Of course not! The more the better. Be sure to cheer loud for us okay."

"I will!" Georgia says enthusiastically.

"Oh, I know you will," Hilary playfully pinches her cheek.