Chapter 21: Soft Ball Stage

The car ride back was miserable. Zoey basically ran home as soon as the car pulled into my house. I sighed and moved to leave.

"You okay?" Hilary asked me before I could.

"Zoey hates me now."

"Forget about that, that's not what I asked. I said, are you okay? Hailey forced herself on you Poppy, that's serious. How do you feel?"

"I feel frustrated! I know she only kissed me because she's obsessed with having everything you have. I was trying to tell her Zoey likes her, but she basically ignored me. Why does everything I do end in disaster!? All I wanted was to be a good friend and help Zoey be happy, but all I did was ruin everything! Why am I like this?" I cover my face and shake my head.

"I'm sorry, but Zoey can't be mad at you. I don't care what you say, this wasn't your fault. If she hates you because of this, then you shouldn't be her friend anymore. A friend who is more concerned that you kissed the person she likes rather than the fact that, that person, forced themselves on you isn't a friend at all."

I sigh.

"Besides if this is anyone's fault, it's mine. I should have never given Hailey a chance."

I look at her.

"I just wanted all of this behind us. I wanted Zoey to forgive me and for you to finally feel like this was all settled. I want us to go back to how it was before... ever since you found out the truth you've not been the same. You've been distant. Like you're here, but you're not here. Does that make sense?" she asks.

I shrug and look away.

"Poppy talk to me," she begs.

"It's never going to be the same, Hilary. You lied to me, and you didn't even feel guilty about it until I got mad. At least when I lied I felt like crap. Both Wes and Zoey can attest to that. I just need time to process that. I like you, but my mind is still grappling with trying to trust you. It's like if you can lie and hide something that big, what else are you hiding? What else do I not know about you?" I stare out the window.

She's silent for a long time so I turn to look at her, she looking down at the steering wheel in shame.

"I just wanted you to like me," she says softly.

"I know," I grab her hand in mine.

She looks up at me.

"I'm not going to break up with you, I just think we really rushed into this without getting to know each other first. I think we should take things slow, do it right this time. Be honest with each other from now on."

"Okay," her voice shakes.

"Come here," I sigh before pulling her into a hug.

She holds me tightly, not wanting to let go.

"We'll figure this out, it's just going to take some time." I rub her back.

"I'm sorry everything turned out into an even bigger disaster. I'll fix this." She whimpers into me.

"No. let it be," I say.

She pulls back to look into my eyes.

"I'm not going to keep bending backward for Zoey. If she wants to be my friend then she can, but I'm not going to kill myself just to satisfy her. As for Hailey, I don't care about what happened because I know why she did it. And I also know she won't do it again by how fast she ran out of there. I'm not going to let this break me. It's time I focus on what I need and what I want."

She nods.

I kiss her forehead.

"Don't worry about it, just let it be," I say to her.