Chapter 12: Pillow Mint

I destroyed my room, it looked like a clothes tornado came blowing through. I pulled everything out of my closet and dresser trying to find the perfect outfit. I needed something that looked both nice and casual. Something that didn't make it look like I was trying way to hard, but also made Hilary think I was smoking hot. Well as smoking hot as I could be.

"Come on, where are you?" I grumbled as I flung clothes everywhere.

"Um... Poppy. Any particular reason why your clothes are avalanching into the hall?" Mom popped her head in.

"No," I lied and continued to dig.

"Really? No reason at all?"

"Ah-ha! I found it." I pulled the shirt free.

I had only worn the stupid thing like once. To my cousin's sweet sixteen. I am not really a dress person, plus her sweet sixteen was very um... different. Less Cinderella, more heavy metal. My cousin is weird.

Anyway! The shirt is all black and has a huge v neck that showed a lot of cleavage, but looked good on my body frame. The sleeves came down to my elbows and were extremely loose and baggy looking. The whole shirt was also covered in intentional holes. Including one large one on the back.

"Why are you looking for that?" my mom made a face.

"Because." I stood up and dusted myself off.

"Because?"

"Because I feel like it, gosh, why so nosey?" I looked at her.

She narrowed her eyes in suspicion.

"Um, I'm going over to Hilary's house to work on our art project," I said.

"I see, Hilary's house." She said in her all-knowing mom voice.

"Can you like, go now?" I shooed her away.

"I'm going," she held up her hands in surrender and walked off.

I grabbed my best pair of booty shorts, I only have like two pairs because the opportunity to wear booty shorts in this house is never present and when it is, it isn't. Mom always looks at me funny when I do wear them. Well, I wasn't about to worry about that today.

I quickly changed and then grabbed a zip-up jacket to seem more casual. That way when the time came I could just casually slip the jacket off and let Hilary get a good eyeful of the goods? Is that how this stuff works? Ugh! Why is my brain all scrambled? It's just Hilary. This so weird.

Wait, what is she tries to kiss me again?

I quickly ran to the bathroom to brush my teeth extra good and rinse with the fiery juices of hell, aka Listerine mouth wash. Then I saw my frizzled and crazy hair. Which prompted me to quickly get the brush and the straightener.

My hair is naturally straight so I don't really use my hair straightener that much, but when I do my hair looks so much more awesome. At least I think so. Will Hilary like that sort of thing? What if she hates it! Maybe I should wear a hat to hide my hair.

I run back to my room and grab a beanie cap before shoving it on my head and tucking all my hair inside. Okay, now I'm ready. Wait, shoes! I push all my clothes to one side of the room to try and find my shoes. I grab my sneakers and put on some simple white socks that come up to my ankles. Then I put my shoes on. I zip up my jacket and grab my phone.

Now I wait.

Hilary said she would pick me up after softball practice.

Maybe I should clean up while I wait. I quickly start shoving all my clothes back into my dresser and grabbing the hangers off the floor to start putting everything back in my closet. When I am done I make up my bed and then do a once over of my appearance again.