Chapter 7: Sweet Tarts

After I forced myself to get over the whole Zoey thing we went back to my house and ate breakfast. Then I did the hardest thing one has to do when one is gay. I came out to my Mom and Stepdad. They sat in the living room. Georgia was laying down on my mom's lap, like the little suck-up she is.

Hilary gave me a thumbs up and I took a deep breath and walked into the living room. I placed myself in front of the tv so that they had to look at me. Mom raised an eyebrow and Georgia sat upright.

"Poppy, is there something you want to tell us?" Mom asked as if she already knew.

I gulped and puffed up my chest before I said,

"I'm gay. I like girls."

LaShawn got bug eyes but mom had no reaction. Georgia broke the tension by saying,

"What's gay?"

Then mom laughed and Georgia started laughing because mom was laughing, and I started laughing nervously because I suppose it was better than just standing there. LaShawn started laughing because everyone else was laughing.

"Okay Poppy, thank you for telling me. I'm glad you did, but it doesn't change anything." Mom said.

I sighed in relief.

"We're proud of you," LaShawn said.

I eyed him. He frowned at me when I didn't give him a positive reaction.

"Well, I'm going with Hilary to her house," I said.

"Wait is Hilary your girlfriend?" Mom asked.

"What! No! It's not like that at all. We are just friends, working on an art project. Nothing like that." I quickly spat out, but I could tell the didn't believe me by my red cheeks.

It was Hilary's fault! She's always being so nice to me. She's out to get me I swear it. I'm going to have to be more careful around her.

"Okay Poppy, be home by 10 PM," mom said.

"Okay." I nodded.

Then to make them even more suspicious of me Hilary ran up behind me and hugged me, giving her signature annoying squeal. Mom raised an eyebrow and I laughed nervously, once again peeling the girl off of me.

When I got to Hilary's house it was almost completely different from what I saw at the party. For one everything was clean and neatly organized. Two it had a lot better lighting and there weren't a lot of people standing in the way so I could actually get a good look at things. And lastly, it was bright outside and the natural lighting was doing wonders making the already perfect house look even better.

"My dad and uncle already took the thing apart piece by piece and put it in my room. Come on." She grabbed my hand and dragged me upstairs.

"Where are your parents?" I asked.

"Mom's at work, Dad is helping my uncle. My uncle is building a shed in his back yard. It's why he had the trailer, he rented out for a few days. So we got lucky." She pushed open her room door.

"Whoa," I said.

Her room was completely taken over by the claw machine. Her dresser and nightstand were missing and her bed was pushed all the way against the wall.

"Yeah, I know. But once it's put together it will look better."

"Is that thing going to fit, how are you going to stand it up."

"Glad you asked, hehe, my uncle helped me shrink it three feet. So it is just short enough to fit."

I eyed the pieces. There were four side panel pieces, four tall leg/frame pieces, and four long pieces that held the frame together from the top. All separate. The frame was obviously tampered with, they looked like someone cut them in half and then took out a chunk before fusing the cut halves back together. An eyesore for sure.