Chapter 16: Butterscotch Backstabber

"You what..." I back away from her.

"No Poppy, I know it sounds bad but it's actually not that bad. I mean I like you and you like me; because of me we finally got a chance to know each other. What we have is real, I know you feel it too. We were practically made for each other. Zoey is a bad friend anyway—"

"You used her? To get to me!? Hilary! What is wrong with you!?" I back up even more.

"You did the same thing!" she points out.

"That's different. I did that for my friend! You... You ruined my friendship with Zoey! I didn't even know you! If you would have just left us alone none of this would have ever happened."

"I did it for us because I really like you." She steps closer to me, trying to make me understand with her pleading eyes.

"Then why didn't you just talk to me like a normal person!"

"Because!"

"Because?"

"You never even looked my way no matter how hard I tried. It was like there was this wall you built to block me out and no matter what I did you just didn't look my way. All of my crowing of achievements were to impress you, I wanted you to see me. But all it did was push you farther away from me. So... I did the only thing I could think of. I was desperate. I'm sorry."

"How long have you liked me?" I can't keep the disgust off my face.

"Poppy," She reaches for me.

I jerk away.

"Poppy please."

"Answer the question," I demand.

"Why are you being like this? I thought... I thought you would understand." She says with a sad look on her face.

I want to feel nothing for her, to be done with her, but seeing her like that makes my guts all twist together. I have to look away from her.

"I know what I did was wrong, trust me I know. But what you did was worse, and I don't even think you see how wrong it is or even feel sorry for doing it." I say.

She takes a step towards me and I back away again, wrapping my arms around myself.

She tries again and again I jerk away.

"Poppy," her voice wobble, and her eyes water.

"Zoey is my best friend, and yeah, lately she's been awful. But she didn't deserve this, she didn't deserve what either of us did to her. And I have to make this right. Just... leave us alone." I push past her to leave but she grabs my arm.

"I know you like me too, I know you do. This was real. How I feel about you is real."

"How long?" I don't turn to look at her.

"Poppy please, just calm down."

"You're an awful person." I pull free from her grasp and run out of there.

The first thing I do I look around for Zoey, hoping she hasn't gotten too far. But she's nowhere to be found so I call her, she ignores my call. So I call Wes.

"Hello?" He answers.

"Wes, I fucked up."

"Really?" he sounds smug.

"Just shut up and listen. You were right about the whole Hilary thing coming back to bite me. I was wrong about her. She's awful. She betrayed me and Zoey. She used Zoey to get to me. Zoey knows now and we have to find her. I have to make this right. Please, I need your help."