Chapter 15: Jaw Breakers

My first reaction is to run and hide. Zoey is the last person I want to see. I know she's still mad about everything. Because she's Zoey, and when Zoey's are pissed, they can't let it go. Which just makes this whole situation that much more difficult to navigate.

"Zoey? What are you doing here?" I said as calmly as possible. I don't want to set her off again.

"No, what are you doing here!?" She demands, stomping over to us.

Well keeping things civil is out the window. She looks ready to burn me at the stake.

"W-we're on a date," I say.

"A date, fantastic. Because everything you've already done to me wasn't enough. You had to ruin the one last safe space I had."

"What? Zoey I didn't know—"

"Don't lie to me! You're doing it on purpose now!"

I stand up just as she walks over to us. Hilary stands behind me.

"I'm not doing anything! This all just happened! I said I was sorry."

"Sorry, sorry can't even begin to fix what you've done." She shakes her head at me.

I look into her hazel eyes, trying to find some way to fix this. Some hint of the right thing to say. But all I see is pain and anger. She really hates me now. Nothing will ever fix this.

"Zoey, please," I beg.

"You know, what stings most of all is that I trusted you Poppy. I told you everything, I trusted you!" she pushes me.

I stumble back.

"You were supposed to be my best friend!" she pushes me again.

"I'm sorry!"

She punches me in the jaw and I fall on my butt.

"Leave her alone!" Hilary jumps in the way.

Zoey laughs and shakes her head at Hilary.

"Zoey don't," I plead.

"You don't have to be so mean! Poppy really cares about you." Hilary says.

"She lied to you!" Zoey says.

"Stop it!" I stand back up.

"Why should I?" Zoey says.

"Look, I know what I did to you was very bad but it's not like that anymore. The way I feel, this, is real."

"And what about the way I felt!?"

"Ruining my relationship won't make her magically like you!"

There is a moment of silence.

She clenches her jaw and tears fill her eyes.

"Zoey, I'm so sorry. For everything. But it wasn't like I planned this. It just happened. I just want my friend back. Can't we just move past this and move on?"

"Move on? Poppy, no. There is no moving on. You're not the one who got the short end of the stick."

"You're not even trying," Hilary says.

We both turn to her.

"You're not even trying to make up. You can't just go on hating someone forever. Poppy really wants you back in her life. You should at least try and get over it."

"You have no idea," Zoey says.

"Don't," I step in the way and block her view of Hilary.

"She deserves to know."