Chapter 20: Twizzlers

"What's the matter Poppy?" Mom asks as I stare at my reflection and slowly brush my hair out.

"I'm going on a date," I turn to face her.

"Yay?" she gave me a confused look.

"A double date," I go on.

"Not yay? Help me out here."

"With Zoey and Hailey."

"Now I'm completely lost."

"Mom, I know I should let it go and let Zoey handle her own problems but I just got a really bad feeling about Hailey. A lot of bells and red flags are going off."

"Hmm."

"Wes told me not to intervene considering how well that went last time but I don't want Zoey to get hurt again. Plus she really likes Hailey."

"What does Hilary think?" Mom asks.

"Hilary hated Hailey until this week when she pretended to be Hailey's friend just to get Hailey to ask Zoey out so Zoey won't hate her anymore."

"Oh to have a mind of a teenager. Sometimes I really wonder about you kid," she ruffles my hair.

"What do I do? Zoey is barely talking to me again, and if I tell her not to trust Hailey, she'll hate me again. But if I don't do anything at all, Hailey will break her heart. Help me!" I shake her by the shoulders.

"Let me ask you this, why did it blow up in your face the first time?"

"Well, I lied to Zoey and told her I was trying to get Hilary to like her which ended badly because then I fell for Hilary. Then it turns out Hilary was lying to Zoey too and only pretended to be her friend and Zoey basically wanted to actually murder us."

"So, here is my advice, don't lie. Tell her straight up. Give her a warning, be honest with your concerns and let her handle it from there. Don't go behind her back. Do you think that's something Zoey would respond positively to?"

"I don't know, it's Zoey." I sigh.

"Just do your best to be a good friend and everything will work out. Don't stress about it. Just finished getting ready and go enjoy your date. This is your first date with Hilary since you two made up after all."

I take a calming breath and look back at my reflection. Mom pats my head before walking off.

I get a text from Hilary saying she's on her way so I pick up the pace and finish getting ready. Zoey beats her here, running up the stairs to my room as I slipped my shoes on.

"Hey," she rubbed her hands on her pants nervously.

"Good, you're here, there is something I want to tell you before the date." I stand up.

"What?"

"Look, don't take this the wrong way but I think you should be cautious before getting too close to Hailey."

"Why?" she instantly gets defensive.

"Hear me out, Hailey has already shown me she's super suspicious and a liar. She was blabbing her mouth to me that she and Hilary were best friends, but when I asked Hilary, Hilary says they never even hang out. That Hailey is obsessed with her or something. Don't you think it's creepy that she looks and acts almost exactly like Hilary?"

"No, she doesn't."

"Hilary wears lavender contacts, Hailey wears lavender contacts. Hilary has a white car, Hailey has a white car. Hilary had a party at her house, one week later Hailey has a party? Just be careful Zoey, I am getting major creeper vibes. I'm not saying not to give her a chance, I'm just saying be cautious. This girl is suspicious"