Chapter 17: Sour Patch

Déjà freaking Vu. I swim up for air and lock eyes with Zoey. She quickly gets up to leave.

"Dude!" some guys laugh at their friend who also comes up for air.

"Asshole!" I fling water at him and swim to the wall to pull myself out.

Another phone bites the dust.

I should have known.

Thanks to the jerks playing football or something I was tackled into the pool and now I'm soaking wet. I pull myself up but a hand appears in front of my face. I look up and meet the eyes of Hailey Queen.

I grab her hand and she pulls me out of the pool.

I turn to look for Zoey but she's gone.

Why is this happening to me!? I run my hands down my face.

"Poppy? Where's Hilary?" Hailey asks.

"Have you seen Zoey?"

Hailey turns to where Zoey was just sitting but she's not there anymore. We both look around and I catch a glimpse of her sneaking back into the house.

"There," I push past Hailey and move to go inside.

Everyone moves out of my way. My shoes make a horrible squelching sound with every step I take. I make my way to the front of the house until I see Zoey run upstairs.

"Whoa, what happened to you?" Wes stops me.

"No time, she's getting away!" I run upstairs.

I watch Zoey make a run for the bathroom door and I run after her. She slams the door in my face and I hear the lock click.

"Zoey!" I bang on the door.

"Go away!" she shouts back.

"I just want to talk, I'm sorry." I plead.

"Sorry doesn't fix anything." She says through the door.

"I know," I sigh and lean against the door before sliding to the floor.

I hear her do the same.

Wes comes up the stairs and sees me. He sighs.

"I'm sorry, about everything okay. After what you said to me on the playground that day everything just got so confusing. I never meant for it to turn out like this. But if it makes you feel better I'm done with Hilary. Anyone who can use and betray my friend like that isn't worth having in my life. I'm so sorry, about everything. I didn't know. I swear it. I just want my friend back." I bury my face into my knees.

"I don't want to talk to you right now Poppy." She says.

"All I ever wanted was to make you happy. I royally screwed that up," I hold back my tears. "You're my friend, my best friend. I don't even care about romance anymore. I'm done with it. I just want my friend back. Everything got so messed up between us because of Hilary. Can't we just start over and pretend none of it happened?" I beg.

She's silent.

"Zoey please, I know you're hurting bad right now. Let me be there for you. I'm done with Hilary, she can go screw herself for all I care."

"Go away Poppy," She says softly, I can tell she's crying.

I sniffle and wipe my tears before getting up to leave.

"No," Wes stops me.

"She doesn't want to talk to me," I whimper.

"We can't let it end like this guys. We can't. You two are supposed to be friends. Yes, everything got so messed up, but I know you both still care about each other. Zoey, you are only pushing Poppy away because you don't want to get hurt again, but Poppy loves you. She could be with Hilary right now on a date but she chose to come after you. She dragged me along with her to find you. She cares. And I know you care too. Can't we put this behind us and move on? I don't like watching you two fight." He says.