Chapter 18: Hard Ball Stage

All weekend I'm a shut-in. Hilary come to my house a total of 72 times, count it with me 72. My mom tried to get us to talk but I shut the door in Hilary's face and locked it. Then I told my mom to ignore Hilary no matter how many times she knocked and rang the doorbell. She's come back 2 times an hour then she got desperate and came back like every five minutes.

"Go away!" I opened my window when mom poked her head into my room complaining about her headache.

"Poppy! Please!" Hilary begged.

"Go away or I'll call the cops," I say.

She was crying.

It broke my heart.

"Can you please explain to me why you two are fighting? You looked so happy at the softball game." Mom sat next to me on the bed.

"Because she's a liar," I wipe frantically at my own tears that refused to stop.

"Poppy people make mistakes. I'm sure Hilary didn't mean to hurt you. It's obvious you two still love each other, you should give her a second chance."

"No. Go away!" I push my mom off my bed.

She sighs and leaves the room just as the doorbell rang again.

"Deal with this, please," Mom complains.

"Am I not allowed to talk to Hilary anymore?" Georgia asks.

I sigh.

Then I march downstairs and open the door. Hilary's eyes lit up when she saw me.

"Please go away," I said in defeat.

"Just talk to me," she begs.

"There is nothing left to say." I move to shut the door.

She stops me.

"Hilary go away! What more do I have to do, spell it out!? I don't want to see you ever again! Just leave me alone."

She engulfs me in a hug and my heart stops.

"I'm sorry." She whimpers.

I sob and bury my head into her shoulder.

"Please give me another chance." She begs.

I pull back and look into her eyes, she's not wearing her contacts. Her eyes are actually blue. I like them better this way.

"I know what I did was stupid, I should have just talked to you, if I could take it back I would. I never meant to hurt you. Never..." she caresses my face, wiping my tears.

I open my mouth to say something when,

"Poppy?" Zoey stops her bike in front of my house.

I flinch and quickly push Hilary away.

"Go away, I won't say it again. I mean it!" I shout at her.

She looks hurt.

My chest aches.

"Poppy please."

"Get away from her!" Zoey marches over to us.

Hilary backs up.

"Get out of here! She doesn't want to talk to you ever again! You are a disgusting human being and we are both sorry for ever knowing you." Zoey spat at her.

Hilary looks at me but I hide behind Zoey and say,

"Go."

She breaks into sobs and runs to her car and finally leaves me alone.