20

'Ready or not' - Bridgit Mendler

Unedited

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

"Pass the butter," mumbled a sleepy voice to her left.

She turned to see Zakaria, well she thought it was him she couldn't be sure because there were way too many, slumped down in his chair a few seats to her left. She did so, clanging it loudly next to his ear on the table so he could get up. It was her second breakfast at her in laws and she was annoyed to see a bunch of zombies around the table.

Syra sipped on her tea, savouring the warmth. Yesterday Zayn & Syra took their sweet time to wake up, obviously, and stayed home. He gave her an in depth tour of his house, showed her where he hid piles of cash, and watched some movies together. Syra had been horrified when she found out Zayn had no interest in movies, so she decided she would introduce him to the Marvel series first. They had watched a few movies and had fallen asleep while watching Thor Ragnorak. The next morning they were up by ten, which was rather early for them and went to the park to chill. Now they back and were having breakfast. Zayn had gone to run some errands for Ammi, so she was left alone at the table with Zaina and his brothers scattered here and there. The rest of his family was still sleeping.

"Syra, we're all going ice skating today, so do you wanna join us?" asked Zaina.

Syra deliberated over this. The dull throb of pain between her legs had mostly dissipated after she had taken a warm ghusl before Fajr; when she went back to sleep and woke up again it had been just a light discomfort. Now she only felt it if moved too vigorously.

"Sure. I'll just ask Zayn to see if he has anything planned today," she answered.

When Zayn returned she had asked him about his plans and he said he had planned to go with them. So she quickly got ready, excited. She had done ice skating for a while but she had to stop once she begun college.

They all went together by the tube. The ring was located in Queens Way. There was also a bowling alley next to it. Syra had actually brought her ice skates with her as Zayn had told her to, so she didn't wear the hideous chunky blue ones they provided.

While everybody was still busy buckling up, she had ran ahead, well hobbled really, and into the arena. It was rather crowded today; it was Sunday. She walked over and stepped onto the ice, realising just how much she had missed gliding over the ice.

She sped up, following the clockwise circle some of the more experienced skaters were following. She moved in a steady, fast rhythm. She knew if she tried to practice any of her tricks she might crash into someone or people would deem her a show off.

She had skated about three rounds before Zayn and his siblings finally begun shuffling out. She watched Zayn as he moved slowly across the ice rink, weaving through the beginners. His technique was a bit rusty; but everyone was like that because no person did ice skating too often unless it was their sport. He'd get the hang of it after a bit, it was the same for her.

He came over to her but went to the side to stop himself. So he didn't know how to stop. She'd just show him.

"You looked so cool just gliding round and round. So many people were just looking at you in awe," Zayn told her, making her feel warm inside.

"I can't stop in these bloody things," Zayn complained.

"I'll teach you. So it depends on your speed. When it's just a soft glide, just drive your feet inwards, and you'll drift to a stop. If you are going fast or need to abruptly stop, place your weight back on your dominant leg and bring the other forward and tilt it, so the friction stops you. And also bend your legs, like go in a squat position. Try it,"