Like a Big Lost Puppy

This day at school was... different.

You were trying to do your thing, chatting to your friends and doing your schoolwork, and all was normal. But Gonner had been glued to your side the entire day, and whenever his friends asked to hang out he declined. Your friends didn't really mind, they thought he was cute and his accent was adorable. The fact that he didn't seem to realise them fawning over him bothered you for some unknown reason.

As the line for the cafeteria moved forward and you came to a stop in front of the lunch ladies, a movement from the corner of your eyes caught your attention. Gonner sauntered over to you, tray in hand, and started a quiet conversation with the boy in line behind you. The kid nodded and moved out the line, and Gonner slipped in right behind you.

"Excuse me, you haven't told me what you want," one of the ladies interrupts you looking at the zombie with a questioning gaze, pulling you out of your own head.

"Oh, sorry! I'll- uh, I'll have a slice of pizza, some flavoured water, and a cookie."

She picks the food up and puts them on your tray, and you continue on into the room, looking for the table you and your 'friends' usually sit at. Two of them were already there and they welcomed you with grins as you sat down across from them.

You weren't entirely sure you'd label them 'friends'. More like 'people that don't make me want to tear my hair out'.

"So... is your 'friend' Gunnar gonna be sitting with us today?" Heidi asked, raising her eyebrows at you knowingly. Ever since Gonner had joined school she had been teasing you, but you had no idea what any of it was about, and you couldn't tell if she was making fun of you or not.

You don't answer her, because you actually don't know. He hadn't followed you around like a lost puppy since you had only just gotten him enrolled, so you had no idea what to expect.

True to form, Gonner approaches your table not a minute later with only 2 glasses of apple juice on his tray. You weren't sure if it was a personal preference or if he genuinely couldn't eat anything other than cats. Maybe you should ask him sometime.

"Mind if I sit here?" He asks, only putting his tray down and taking a seat after he got two 'no's from your friends. "Cosy table! I can see why you'd rather hunker down here than over by me crew's table."

Heidi and Erin giggle at him, making him smile. 'Why are you guys laughing? He didn't even say anything funny.' If Gonner notices your quickly souring mood he doesn't say anything, but you do see one of your friends smirking at you.

As you were about to open your mouth and say something you'd regret, Erin cringes. You look at her and try to see what she's looking at, but Gonner was in the way. 'Screw him for being so tall.'

"What is it? What are you guys making that face at?" You ask instead.

Heidi gives you a worried glance and leans into the table to mumble quietly, "It's.. your ex. He's coming over here."

A/N: Heidi and Erin aren't OCs or anything, they're just girls I gave random names to. You're free to imagine them however you want, and you're free to imagine your ex however you want as well. There's a reason I haven't named him, or described him. You have free reign over how he looks, I'm just telling a story.