Conflict

A groan slipped it's way from your mouth as you cracked your eyes open, raising a hand to rub the sleepiness from them. It took a couple seconds for you to remember where you were, and why it was so dark, and so you avoided a freak out.

You could hear Gonner making bleary noises from behind you, and you assume he was dreaming... or something. Either way it was incredibly cute, and you wished you could turn over and watch him for a little while but you could hear D/N whimpering to get let out. Reluctantly you shimmed down and out the tomb, sealing it back over to let Gonner rest for a while longer, before removing the stone from D/N's tomb. You watched as the dog ran right out, presumably finding somewhere to go to the bathroom.

You weren't too worried with his whereabouts. He had survived outside for a while before you had taken him in, and he definitely knew where the graveyard was located. He was still horrible with tricks, but staunchly stayed by your side when you needed him, so you didn't blink as he sprinted by you. Instead, you poured some food and water out into the bowls you had brought.

There was only one thing on your mind as you put D/N's food pouches back into your bag. You had played it off easily last night to ease the Pirate's mind, but it's been bothering you. That humming.

You turned to see your dog trotting back toward you for his food, and decided to take the opportunity to walk off in the direction of the abandoned playground again. You knew this was a bad idea, the hairs on your neck were standing up and goose bumps pebbled along your skin as soon as you crossed the graveyard's threshold, but you just had to know.

It wasn't long through your trek that you saw the swing set from in between the trees, but you had heard no humming quite yet. You moved to sit on one of the swings, lightly swaying yourself with the tip of your toes as you bit your lip. 'Maybe this isn't a good idea. What if they're awake by now? Are they worried?'

To catch yourself overthinking, you closed your eyes and focused on the feeling of the swings. Your hands clutching cold, hard metal. You could feel the rust under your fingers, and very faintly smell it. It's been abandoned for a while.

You release a breath you didn't even know you were holding. 'I really need to thank the counsellor for teaching me that one.'

"What are you doing?" A shrill voice pulled you from your calming exercises, and you snap your eyes open to see the ghost Dixie had been talking to all up in your face. "Who are you?"

"Wh- I-" Typically you wouldn't fumble over your words, but you were caught off-guard.

The ghost smirked, leaning away from you smugly, "Cat got your tongue? Or are you just a little slow?" You didn't reply, mouth falling open in offense as she turned and floated off toward the slide. A jolly little tune came from her lips as she tried to touch the structure, coming to an abrupt halt as her hand disappeared right through it. She looked back over her shoulder at you, her face suddenly angry once more, as if it had flipped like a switch. "You..."

"Me...?" You squeaked, afraid she had recognised you from somewhere, maybe having seen you hiding in the bushes on that fateful night.

She nodded, pulling her axe from her head. "Yes, you. What's your name, mortal?"

You consider lying, but the blade of the axe was beginning to look more and more real by the second. "Y/N."

"I'm Piroska," the ghost said haughtily, floating back over to you. "Now you know ghosts exist. That's a problem," Piroska gave you a faux-concerned look, "I'm afraid I can't let you go back home with this knowledge..."

It felt like something was stuck in your throat, preventing you from swallowing in fear. The axe was raised to your neck, so that the sharp side was nicking your jawline. It was real; it was very, very real.

"Unless... Well, you could do me a favour and I could probably let you go, since you'd be earning my trust. What do you think?" It was a rhetorical question, of course, as more pressure was put on your throat. You feel a droplet of blood make it's way down your jugular. 

You nodded feverishly, mind so hazed in pure fear that you didn't realizing you were agreeing to a binding verbal contract.

"Perfect!" Piroska removed the weapon from your vicinity and stuck it back into her head, as if it were normal. You quickly pressed a hand to your neck. "I'm looking for Gonner the pirate zombie. We dated for 300 years and then he just dumped me like a piece of trash! He's a traitorous piece of scum! Good for nothing little-!" She caught herself at the last second, the venom quickly draining from her voice as she calmed down, "But it doesn't matter. I love him, and I know he loves me deep down. I just need to find him again and we can be together for the rest of our undead lives!"

'This sounds bad for Gonner,' you think, eyes wide as you listened to her continue to rant about how she had the perfect cage set up for him in her old boss' lair. Her ranting became more and more disturbing, and so you worked to actively block it out. 'Oh my god this girl is genuinely insane. Well, Y/N, now you're in it. If you play this correctly, this could be beneficial.'

"-Steal cats from that old wench living in the lighthouse and feed them to him once a week! So, I have it all planned out." Piroska's ramblings seemed to have come to their end, and you let out a breath of relief. "I need you to go out looking for him every night, and, in exchange, you get to live the rest of your life in relative peace. I have someone else looking for him too," a devious glint appears in her eyes, "And if she finds him first, you can join us in the afterlife!"

You couldn't say anything in response before the ghost vanished from your sight. Once left alone, panicked breaths came from your nose in rapid succession. You struggled to stay upright in the swing and tumbled off of it, picking yourself up before running off into the woods with no idea where you were going. 'If I just keep running I'll find my way back home eventually...'

Unfortunately any thoughts of leaving D/N, Gonner, Isis, or your stuff behind were put behind you as anxiety overtook your body.