Telling Someone Important

It wasn't until you were in the safe confines of your room that you stopped to realize everything you had left behind. Immediately your heart leapt into your throat at the idea of having left D/N back at the graveyard, sinking down onto your bed and burying your face into your pillow.

Your clock ticked as seconds, minutes, hours went by and you did not move from your position. Your stomach was rumbling but you refused to get up. You hoped Gonner and Isis were taking care of your animal, because you were too scared to go back out.

Scared.

That hadn't really been a word to describe you since meeting the zombie pirate. Sure, you'd been shaken a few times, but Gonner seemed to instil a confidence in you that you didn't know you had before now. Just the thought of him made a small smile creep upon your face.

You had been jealous over him a few times now, but had figured that came with the territory of being friends with a cute guy. But now? You had begun to accept you had feelings for him. There wasn't much use denying it anymore, not after meeting with that creepy ghost girl.

Was there even a point in confessing? Did he even like you back? These were the kind of things you'd scoff at when watching a TV show, but now that you're actually living it... it's a horrible feeling, doubting yourself.

"Y/N!!" You heard your mother call from downstairs, and you instinctively hold onto your pillow tighter, "Did you leave your dumb mutt outside?!"

The stairs creaked as someone walked up them, and then your bedroom door opened with a 'SLAM!'. D/N came bounding in, tongue lolling from his mouth as he jumped onto your mattress and began layering your cheeks in disgusting slobber. You didn't care though, you were just happy he was okay.

Your mother was standing by the doorway, rubbing the tiredness from her eyes, "He was scratching at the door, how long did you leave him out there for?!" The woman actually seemed worried. You knew she put up a front, but she actually loved D/N. "Just... take better care of him next time, alright? Jeez." She turned and left, walking back down the steps.

You waited until you could no longer hear her before turning to the wolfdog who was sitting, breathing his gross dog-breath on your face. "How'd you get back here all on your own, boy?" You checked him over, making sure he really was alright, but you saw nothing amiss. Not even a tick or flea.

D/N's ears perked and you turned to see Gonner standing up in front of your window.

"Because he didn't get here on his own," the pirate said, tipping his hat at the sight of you. You sniffle and wipe at your bleary red eyes. "I brought him back for ye! No need for applause... but if ye insist."

Playing along, you give the pirate a few sarcastic claps and roll your eyes, sniffling, "Amazing. Thank you swashbuckler! How may I ever repay you?"

Gonner pretends to think for a moment before crossing his arms and leaning over to you, "Aye, I can think of a few ways... but for now how 'bout ye give me a liiiiittle kiss on the cheek?" He was grinning, eyes closed and pointing to the cheek closest to you shamelessly.

You flush, embarrassed. Was he serious or was he just messing around as per usual? This didn't mean anything, did it? Friends play-flirted with one another all the time, this wasn't any different... right? But what if-

You didn't even get a chance to respond when D/N leapt forward and gave the zombie a big wet lick from his cheek to the side of his forehead. Gonner quickly jumped back, feigning disgust, before throwing a bunch of fake-out punches at the dog, making him bark and wag his tail with excitement.

You watched your two boys with fondness, before sighing and looking down at your hands. "Gonner, we need to talk."

He looked over at you, "That's usually not a good sign. What's got ye down? Anythin' to do with you runnin' off earlier?"

You weren't sure how to tell him any of this, but figured it would be better for him if you kept it a secret no longer. Things were starting to get more serious and you'd have to work together to keep one another safe. With a heavy sigh, you quickly filled him in on your encounters with Piroska, and how Dixie was involved. He grew more serious and quiet the more you said, making you worried, when he pulled his pirate hat off to scratch his head with a bewildered look on his face.

"I died and still have lassies fightin' over me... oye," he shook his head, surprised, maybe a little amazed, before putting his hat back on, "I s'pose I should at least explain some things to ye.. Piroska and I were courtin' for about 300 years."

Your eyes went wide. You knew he died a long time ago, but hearing it in numbers was something else. "Wait, you dated her too?!"

Gonner shrugged sheepishly, "Heheh, whoops? A-anyway, I split with that galley slave while I still had me legs! I'm tellin' ye, she had plans to sever them! Then I met Dixie, and, well, ye know what happened with that..."

You tried to hide your frown as he reached up to scratch the nape of his neck before continuing.

"That foul-smellin' ghost must've had it in her head we were still first mates, but I ain't no double-crosser! Last time I saw her she tried to behead me..." he stopped rubbing the back of his neck and moved his hand to the front of it, making a pained face, "Luckily that didn't happen. I didn't know she still had it out for me though- and she had the gall to threaten ye?!"

You nod, and rub your chin in thought, "But I think we could use it to our advantage. Now we can stall Dixie while we figure out how to get out of this mess." You were still scared to confront both girls, but with Gonner by your side you felt like you could take on anything.

The zombie also thought for a moment, putting his hands on his hips and looking up at the ceiling as if it would give him all the answers he desired. Then he looked back at you, "Do ye mind if I let Isis in on this? She is part of me crew after all."

"The more people in-the-know, the better," you reasoned, feeling awful that you hadn't just told him when you first learned of this whole thing. He appeared to be less interested in self-preservation, but rather more focused on making sure you didn't get the brunt of Piroska's wrath. Your pulse raced.

With a final pet to D/N's head, Gonner turned back to the window with a concerned frown, "Well, I should go back before the streets become more crowded, but, Y/N," he smiled at you from over his shoulder, "Thank ye for lettin' me know of all this. It must be stressful for a mortal."

"...You have no idea."

His eyes softened as he hoisted one leg onto the windowsill, and used an arm to hold onto the top so he wouldn't fall. "Yer right. I don't," he looked a little crestfallen, preparing to hop out the window and grapple his way back down.

Before he could do that, you sprung up from the bed and pressed your lips to his cheek, stopping him in his tracks. His amber eyes went wide as you took a step back, before you pulled his hat down over his eyes playfully. Losing his grip, he slipped from the window but caught himself on the rope he used to get up, using his free hand to pull his hat so it was no longer obstructing his vision.

"I had to pay you back, right?" You leaned out the window to look down at him.

He barked a rowdy laugh, almost in disbelief, "Ye scallywag! I'll get ye for that!" Gonner waved his fist at you mockingly.

"Good luck with that, Pirate-Boy," you chuckled, before moving away from the window and laying back on your bed. Maybe things would be okay.

A/N: Thanks for being patient while I went on my little break! As promised, this fic is the first to receive an update, you can thank my official father for that.

I also have another Gonner story in the works so once this one ends you'll have another to read.