The Moment

Talking to Gonner about what was bothering you really took a massive weight off your shoulders. Instead of skirting around the subject around him, sweating and wondering if he could tell you were hiding something, you were now able to air your worries and get your life relatively back to normal.

The issue with Dixie and Piroska was still very prominent, but it ended up placed on the backburner for the time being. 

Now your time was filled with something less dangerous, but a lot more boring. School. You and Gonner had actually tried to convince Isis to get an up-to-date education as well, but she had politely declined, saying she would take a longer time to learn than Gonner. He died closer to your time, after all.

You hadn't seen the homicidal ghost after your initial meeting, but you couldn't help looking over your shoulder every so often.

---

"So you're just not gonna talk to me?"

You wanted to slam your forehead into your desk as the annoying voice of your ex cropped up behind you.

"I told you I wanted nothing to do with you," you replied, just as the bell rang for next period. Standing up on confident feet you scooped up your school bag and made to leave the room, but he stopped you, grabbing you around the elbow. "Dude, seriously, not happening. Let me go."

Your ex's grip became tighter, and he kept you there as other students filtered out the room, nobody giving you a second glance. His cold eyes turned to you once you were both alone, and he sneered, "Right, so you can go running back to the new kid?" At your surprise, he laughed, "Yeah, I've seen it. We've all seen it."

His words made you feel self-conscious, tearing your arm away. "Seen what?"

"The crazy eyes you've been flashing him," your ex said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. He was never like this before, previously considerate and kind, often quiet. Was he acting like a different person, or was this who he really was? He continued, "The eyes that you used to flash me. The eyes that you should still be flashing me."

You quirked an eyebrow before turning to leave the room once more. This time he let you, but followed you close behind, still spewing nonsense. You felt a headache coming on, and every time he opened his mouth you wanted to scream. Eventually, despite being in a crowd of people, you snapped.

"So I should just forgive you for cheating on me?! I don't belong to you, I never belonged to you! You're trying to dictate everything I do, but y'know what? It won't work! Not this time!" You rounded on him, pure fury in your eyes. The packed hallway went silent, everyone turning to look at you both.

He looked shocked that you had yelled at him, clearly not expecting it. You had become more confident recently, and you were proud you seemed to have put him in his place finally.

Your ex's look of surprise turned into a glare, before he stalked off. You weren't sure why he wanted you back so badly, maybe so he could save his dignity after being broken up with.

Sensing nothing interesting would be happening, all the other students resumed their activities. You heard a few whispers here and there about you and your ex, but it wasn't anything you hadn't dealt with before.

Overwhelmed and exhausted, you trudged toward your next class on tired feet. It was like you were invisible, only being acknowledged by a few people as you had to physically shove past a couple. You wished, for once, someone actually cared and stopped to ask if you were alright. Not even your 'friends' did that.

But you knew one person who would, and the thought of the pirate zombie put a smile back on your face immediately. 'Oh, I've got it bad,' you think to yourself, wondering where he was at this time. Usually he'd come find you after every class, insisting on walking you to your next one, but he was nowhere to be seen.

As the crowd of students got less and less dense, everyone separating off into their own classrooms, it became easier for you to hear a pair of quiet voices conversing back and forth. They were muffled, and, curiosity piqued, you decided to be a little nosey and figure out where they were coming from.

"-with ye." You caught half of a sentence as you approached the janitor's closet, and the voice was instantly recognisable. "What's yer-"

"Shh, someone might hear!"

That voice is one you recognised very quickly as well, belonging to one Dixie Grimm. Suddenly, you were very anxious. Tons of different scenarios were running through your head; prominently jealousy, but you were also terrified that she had figured out who Gunnar really was.

That last thought pushed you to rush to the closet, ready to barge in.

"But I don't want to-!"

Hastily, you grabbed the handle and shoved it open. There were no lights on, the two other students being illuminated by the light behind you, Dixie having boxed Gonner against one of the walls.

You had previously thought the phrase 'seeing red' was only something you'd read in books or see in movies, but the alarmed look on Gonner's face called you into action. Roughly, you grabbed the back of Dixie's shirt and tugged her away from him.

"Ouch, what's- oh, it's just you. What do you want, normie? You got a problem with dead-heads?" Dixie scowled, straightening her back.

Gonner quickly moved to exit the closet, taking an uncertain stand beside you as you seethed. "No, I have a problem with you coming onto my boyfriend!" You were uncertain where the lie came from, just that it surprised you as much as it surprised the two other people with you.

"Boyfriend?!" Both Gonner and Dixie exclaimed at the same time, eyes wide, staring at you for an explanation.

'Ah, I didn't think this far,' you deadpanned in your head, wracking your brain for an excuse. Eventually you decided to give a half-truth, "Well we've been hanging out a lot and I realized I liked him... a lot. So back off, I don't want you to steal this one too."

"Lass...?" Gonner turned to look at you, shocked but pleasantly surprised.

Dixie squinted, "I don't believe you. Why would he be with someone like you?"

You stopped, silent as her words sank in and your insecurities started to ebb out again. 'What if she's right? Gonner is so kind, thoughtful, and likeable- why would he ever be with someone like me?'

A hand taking yours interrupted your thoughts, looking down to see your fingers intertwined with Gonner's cold ones. He looked cocky and confident again, an expression far more befitting of him than the nervous one from before. Grinning, he announced, "'Cause she's always been there for me, and she's the sweetest. Aye, I couldn't imagine bein' with no lassie else..." 

You felt goose bumps spread along your arms as Gonner turned to face you, grabbing your other hand in his. His amber, half-lidded eyes stared down into your own as he smiled softly, before leaning in and pecking your lips with a chaste kiss. Neither of you deepened it, but you felt your eyes slide closed and ears burn.

"Ugh, whatever," Dixie scoffed, reminding you that she was even there in the first place. 

As you heard her footsteps leave the general vicinity you pulled back from Gonner and tried to keep a straight face, but his cheeky smirk made you put your hands over your flushed cheeks in embarrassment. The zombie chuckled, reaching up to gently peel your hands away from your face, "Don't ye hide it, lassie."

"So, uh, we should probably... talk about that," you cleared your throat, eyes looking everywhere but at him.

"Ye want to skip?" Gonner raised an eyebrow, "Oh, I'm a bad influence."