Back to the Graveyard

Gonner hadn't been at the foot of the forest to greet you this time, insisting on preparing the graveyard before you got there. He didn't leave you hanging though, as he had quickly run inside the school, taken a piece of paper and a pencil, before coming back out and leaning against the outside wall to draw something. It was a map, one that he seemed quite proud of as he had handed it to you with a grin.

You weren't quite sure where to go based on just that, but thankfully you remembered there being a path leading there, so if you just vaguely followed his lines you might make your way onto that.

If all goes wrong then he and Isis would probably come looking.

And you weren't alone, either. D/N reminds you of his presence by your side, pushing his forehead against your leg with affection. You had been measuring him against the wall with a pencil, as if he were a child, and noticed a small yet prominent growth spurt already. In a couple weeks he might be up to your knee.

This time you had all your previous essentials plus some dog food and treats, as well as a collapsible dog bed. No boxes were to be left unchecked.

While you were balancing the joy of knowing Gonner with the ever-present looming threat that was Dixie and the ghost girl, you were hoping D/N could become a useful asset on your little 'mission'.

You reach down and scratch his head, "I hear you, boy. Let's get going then."

--

It wasn't difficult finding the path, and from there it was just a straight walk to the cemetery. It would probably have been boring without D/N, but thankfully he kept you entertained the whole way there.

You pushed the gates open and they let out a rusty shriek, turning the heads of both the zombies inside. Gonner immediately hopped up from the log and rushed over, unable to contain his excitement. Isis raised cautiously, keeping herself a good distance away from the dog.

"Welcome back!" The pirate cheered, his excitement causing D/N to jump up onto him. Gonner let out a raspy chuckle and gave the animal a scratch behind the ear, "And it's good to see ye too, boyo!"

The mummy gave you a small smile, "Hey, good to see you again." She was acting similarly to how she was the first time you met, and you suppose you'd just need to earn her trust more.

All of you went toward the campfire and sat down, tying D/N's leash around one of the stumps. Gonner took his hat off his head and used it to fan the flame, making it brighter and hotter while Isis warmed her hands close to it.

"Careful," he teased, putting his hat back on, "Ye don't want to burn yer bandages like when we first met!"

The Egyptian glared at him as he burst out in laughter, almost falling backward off his seat. "That's not funny!" Isis growled, "I could've died!"

"Again?" It slipped out your mouth, and it sent Gonner into another laughing fit. This time he actually did fall onto the ground. Not meaning it to be a joke but instead an actual question, you clasp your hands together and look over at Isis, "No, seriously, how does that work?"

She shrugged and tightened her bandages, "I dunno actually. You'd think we couldn't die again since we don't breathe, but if we don't eat, our bodies just totally give up on us! We're wary of fire too, but I'm really the only one it'll affect, 'cause, well," she gestured to her wraps, "Y'know."

Gonner pulled himself back up and pushed down his previous laughter, but his smile remained. "Aye, it's weird. Bein' undead isn't much better than bein' alive."

"At least we can't drown," Isis mentions.

"Oooh! Aye, there's that!"

All this information was just interesting to you, but you had another burning question. Picking at your jeans, you ask, "So... what else exists? Zombies were fiction to me before I met Gonner. Do Vampires exist? Dragons?!"

"Sky dragons? No," the girl said.

"But sea dragons?" Gonner's grin returned, "Ye bet yer top doubloon they are! Me and me crew once fought one off, it had no eyes and was bigger than our ship! Almost knocked me straight into the ocean, it did!" He hopped off his log and stood on it, swinging around an invisible sword, "And then me Cap'n stabbed it! Right in the middle of it's forehead!"

You watch him badly re-enact the scene in awe. Here you were, a high schooler, sat with two people who had lived through completely different times and who had completed great feats of which you could never dream of.

Isis smirked, rolling her eyes, "And then he took up poetry because he was so scared."

"Oi! That wasn't the reason!" He was pulled from his show, grumbling, "And there's nothin' wrong with poetry." Gonner crossed his arms.

"And you?" You ask Isis, curious as to her background. You already knew Gonner was a pirate, and he's mentioned a couple of his adventures before, but you knew nothing of her except that she was Egyptian.

"There's not much to tell," her smugness turned to sadness as she threw a stick into the fire, "I was worth nothing until I got betrothed to King Tut, and then... Well, the crocodile could tell more of that story."

Your eyes go wide, "Holy- so, wait, you're basically a Queen?!"

Isis looks up at you and smiles softly, "...Yeah, I guess I was."

"Yer highness!" Gonner teased, leaning his upper half down in a bow, taking his hat off and holding it in front of him like a peasant, "To what do we owe this honour?"

"Get your face away from me, dead-breath!" She joked back, throwing a stick at him. Unfortunately the end of it just nicked the flame of the campfire, and when Gonner put his hat up to shield his face it bounced right off and back onto Isis.

Needless to say the next couple minutes were spent in a frenzy of you and the pirate stomping on Isis' bandages as they continued to get set ablaze.

--

D/N had been put to bed in his own tomb, along with his bed and food. You made sure to leave a crack between the wall and the stone you rolled over the opening, so he could breathe.

The mummy turned in early for the night, the shock from being set on fire by her pure bad luck not fading away. "I'll... see you guys in the morning..." she mumbled, her eyes perpetually wide as she skulked back to her tomb, climbing in. Gonner left his seat momentarily to push her stone back over it, essentially 'tucking her in'.

You were still shocked also, something Gonner seemed to notice as he returned to his log. "Ye get used to her quirks," he chuckled, "She's dangerous to be 'round, but it's worth it." You could tell just how fond he was of his friend by how he talked about her.

"You two have been through a lot together, huh?"

"Aye," he mumbled, "Dixie left both of us broken."

Looking at your watch you see some time left before it was officially your scheduled time to sleep. You look up at Gonner, unable to take his sad expression, "You wanna go do something fun?"