Human?

The boy went along with your little plan and let you work on him. You had to use a large amount of makeup to hide the grey tone of his skin, but making sure it looked more natural than cakey. You placed some hair product beside him and rummaged around in your brother's room once again for some more clothes. 'It's just to see if this'll work, I'll give them back after...' you think.

You leave the room once again to let him get dressed, feeling excited. You hoped it would work; because then it meant you'd be able to see Gonner at more places than just after school in a forest.

The bathroom door creaks open and he emerges, and you're floored.

He looks... human, alive again. His ginger hair was fluffily styled on top of his head and you wanted to see how soft it was. He had changed out his old-timey hoop earrings for some black studs. The white button-up hung off his torso slightly but was cinched in at the waist where he tucked it into his black slacks.

He looked amazing, but a big part of you liked his zombie-look, it was unique and it suited him. It was a part of him. You decided to make him know that his own look was much better than this one.

"Oh wow, you look awesome!" You gush, taking a walk around him as he struck a dramatic pose. "I looks great on you! But I think I prefer your normal look the most."

He flushed and rubbed the back of his neck, "I'm glad ye said that. I'm not too fond 'a these clothes."

"Me neither, but unfortunately you'll have to wear them, at least if you want to attend classes. Not sure how people would react seeing a zombie walking the halls. But, hey, at least we'll see each other in more places now."

He flashes you a grin and looks excited, "I can't wait!"

---

Okay, so, your brother was not getting his clothes back.

You let the zombie borrow them, and he showed up at your house- knocking on your window actually- early in the morning so you could do his makeup.

Your plan? Get Gonner- 'Gunnar' as his fake name- enrolled into your school.

---

Gonner and you walked on the way there together, chatting idly. He told you all about what he and his friend Isis got up to last night, relentlessly teasing a farmer. You didn't have much to add, your nights were boring and you wished you could've spent longer with him, and even meet his friend. She sounded like a real character.

"We'll need to go to the front desk and say you're a transfer student or something," you said as you both got closer and closer to school. "The school we go to doesn't have a formal process for adding students so you should be fine." Never had you been so thankful for the adults around you being as incompetent as they were.

Both of you walk through the front doors and a bunch of students turn to look at you, caught off guard by the new boy next to you. You take his hand and lead him to the front desk where you tell them his (fake) name, where he came from, and all the other information asked of you. They add him to the register, not thinking twice about it.

"Who is that?" one of the acquaintances asks you during class, pointing to Gonner who was a couple desks away from you.

"Oh, that's Gunnar," you smile, "He's one of my friends."

She raises her eyebrows and snorts, "He's kinda hot."

For some reason other girls gushing about him made you feel gross, and that tight feeling in your chest returned again. "Yeah well, he's got a girlfriend. So..." You easily lied, not sure why you felt the need to do so.

"Damn."

---

You hadn't taken Dixie into account.

Gonner had seen her walking through the halls and immediately grabbed your arm, trying to discreetly point in her direction.

"That's her!" He whispered to you, a mixture of different emotions swimming through his eyes.

As if she could tell someone was looking at her, the purple-haired girl turned to you and Gonner. A flash of recognition went across her face, but then she looked confused. Dixie walked up to you both and held out her hand for Gonner to take, which he did hesitantly. "Hey! Are you new around here? What's your name?"

"G-Gunnar," he stuttered, shaking her hand.

"You look familiar. Have I seen you before?" she asks, giving him a scrutinising glance.

You pull Gonner's hand from hers and give her a fake smile, "Probably not, he's an exchange student."

"Oh," Dixie says, but she still looks sceptical, "Well, nice to meet you Gunnar. You're cute, you should sit by my table sometime."

She ignored your furious glare on her back as she leaves. You knew she had mistreated Gonner before, and you were determined not to let the two get back together.