Lets Talk About It

S/T: Skintone.

A bad influence, he said. Well, he was right.

You and Gonner had left the school building through one of the fire exits, your warm hand wrapped firmly in his cold, larger one. You both chuckled giddily as you ran out of the school grounds, running in a random direction with no set destination in mind, content to be anywhere as long as it was with each other.

Eventually you both came to a stop after aimlessly walking around in the woods, Gonner trailing along behind you, content to let you explore the forest that he already knew so well.

Neither of you had said anything since skipping your classes. It didn't feel like the kind of silence you desperately wanted to fill to stop it from being awkward. It was comfortable.

But as you leaned against a large tree to catch your breath, Gonner decided it would be a good moment to breach the elephant in the room. "So... boyfriend, eh?"

"Oh shut up," you say playfully, trying to mask your embarrassment, "I just said the first thing that came to my head."

"The first thing ye thought of was datin' me?" The zombie raised an auburn eyebrow, crossing his arms and giving you a smug glance, "Interestin'."

"Yeah yeah, laugh it up!" You snort, kicking a pebble at him lazily before sliding to the ground, sitting on a patch of leaves with your back up against the tree. "I just panicked. I didn't like seeing her try to kiss you."

"Oh? Why not?"

You almost snap at him for being so oblivious, but one look at his smile revealed that he just wanted to hear you say it.

"I think- I think I seriously like you. As more than just a friend." Your intense E/C eyes meet his amber ones, trying to communicate how serious you were being, "I've never felt like this before, never felt a connection like this. It's got me so confused and weirded out because..."

Gonner uncrossed his arms and blinked down at you.

"...because you're literally a dead boy and I'm fully alive!" You pull your knees up to your chest and press your forehead against them, groaning loudly, "This is so messed up."

"Maybe yer right," Gonner said softly, using his long legs to make quick strides over to where you were sitting, the toes of his shoes touching yours as he sat down facing you. "We can talk about it," the zombie suggested, patiently waiting for you to lift your head and look at him.

"Really?" You ask, raising your head to look at him, "You don't think this is awkward?"

He shakes his head, "Why would it be? I... I'm fallin' for ye too. I meant everythin' I said back there, about needin' no one else."

A gust of wind tousled both you and Gonner's hair, reminding you that this was real. He was here, confessing his feelings, and you were doing the same. It was both exciting and terrifying at the same time.

"How would we make this work?" You ask tentatively, picking at a loose thread on your shirt, "You'll continue living forever and I'd age. That's even assuming we would last that long and that we wouldn't just crash and burn like you and Dixie did."

He seemed pensive. It was a weird look on him. "I won't lie to ye, I don't know what will happen to us. But there's one thing I do know.."

You stay silent as Gonner reaches over, gently removing one of your hands from your knees. He looks down at your hands pressed against one another, fingers splayed out as your palms touched. Some of the makeup you used to hide his grey skintone was rubbing off of his hand and arm, causing a stark contrast between your S/T and his own pallid one.

"I want to try this with ye," he said simply, matter-of-fact. "I know what ye mean when ye said ye never felt like this before. Me neither!" The zombie brazenly admits, a slight blush blooming on his freckled cheeks, "All the poems I've been writin' recently... bah, it's all gushy! Because of ye!"

You couldn't say anything even if you wanted to, silently giving the boy all your attention as he spoke earnestly.

Suddenly he pulls your hand to his body, pressing your palm against his chest through his shirt. You blush at the action, but he uses his other hand to gesture for you to wait.

...

...

...

Bump!

...

You gasp and raise your eyes to look at his own very excited ones. Your own heart was racing, it felt like it was trying to escape your ribcage.

"It doesn't mean I'm alive," he chuckles, "Far from it... But my body reacts to ye. This has never happened to me before, not in all me time bein' dead. The first time it happened was when you slept over at the graveyard."

You curl your fingers in his shirt slightly, looking at him with bewilderment.

"Let me court ye. Let me do this right this time."

"Court?" You ask, voice quiet, "Like... dating?"

He thinks for a moment before nodding once, "Aye. I have a dinghy that I'd like to take ye on," the zombie smirked, "Show ye my piratin' skills are still as good as the day I died. Meet me in the graveyard tomorrow as the sun goes down."

His voice, although typically confident in the things he says, seemed less sure this time around. He was clearly nervous but trying to hide it from you. "Yeah, of course," you reply, smiling softly at him, "Does this mean I wasn't lying about you being my boyfriend then?"

Gonner laughed loudly, grinning, "I think ye were right on the doubloons! 'Course I'll be yer boyfriend. And ye can be me first mate."

Your body felt warm. He really meant it, didn't he?

"Isis is gonna have me head once she hears this," the pirate commented, suddenly pretending to look afraid, causing you both to laugh. You would both figure it all out. Together.