Talk

You were sitting on your bed reading a book when your bedroom door opens. Peeking a head over your pages you see Gonner walk in, wearing your brother's comfortable jumper and grey sweatpants. "Hi!" You say, looking at him. For a zombie he cleaned up surprisingly well.

"Ahoy!" He laughed, taking a seat next to you on the bed. He peeked over your shoulder with little to no effort, being far taller than you, and his eyes squinted at the pages. "What do these say?"

"You can't read?" You question, and he shrugs. "No problem. It's a love story about a boy with a curse on him, and he finds a girl that understands him and they become friends. Then they realise they have feelings for each other."

Gonner's eyes go downcast, and you wonder what's got him so blue. "Aye, that sounds like what me and Dixie had.." he murmurs, fixing the pirate hat on his head, "But turns out she never understood me. She turned out to be a rotten scalleywag."

"Oh, Gonner, I'm so sorry," you say, hesitating for a second before awkwardly leaning over to hug him around the shoulder. He smelled really nice with this shampoo, and you wonder what he looked like when he was alive. "Well you have me, and we can be friends, right?"

He perks up quickly, reciprocating your hug. "Aye, we suuuure are! I'll be the best friend you've ever had! Pirate promise." You laugh into his shoulder and he smiles, "Ah, I never had much friends, so it'll take some gettin' used to, but ye're such a nice lass, I'll put in the effort."

You were extremely thankful you had run into this strange boy, it seemed you were both prepared to give the company that the other craved. It would take you some time to come to terms with the fact that zombies exist, but you decide ignorance is bliss at this moment. Eventually you both pull away, but your earlier thought continues to haunt you. "Gonner?"

"Hm?" He hums, looking up from your book. He was trying to sound out some words.

"What did you look like when you were alive?" You ask, not wanting this to be a tough subject for him.

He chuckles and grins, ruffling the hair that peeked out from under his hat. "Oh, I was the most handsome lad on me ship," he smirked, "Had lassies from everywhere fawnin' over me. Those were the days."

The thought of a bunch of girls raving over him made a tight feeling erupt in your chest that you weren't totally familiar with.

"Course it all ended when I got captured by a rival crew and starved! No lassies have been interested with me afterwards, except... Dixie.." He begins to get sad again, but shakes his head, not wanting to fall down that rabbit hole again. "Wish I could show ye a picture but the only one I had was on the wall on me ship."

"That's okay, I can use my imagination," You say, looking off to a corner of your room, getting into your own head as you imagined it. The vision made your cheeks heat up, and you decided to change the subject to distract yourself, "Hey, do you want to learn how to read?"

"Aye!" He grins.

"I have... an idea."