The Graveyard, The Mummy, and the Puppy

You and Gonner kept walking until fog started to appear, shrouding both of you in it. You saw a large metal gate up ahead and turned to Gonner, questioningly.

"Aye, this is it!" He grinned, picking up his pace and running towards it. You giggled and followed after him, both of you relieved to finally be somewhere you could rest.

The graveyard was large with a large tolling bell in the center, surrounded by graves on every side. There was a wall lined with crypts, and a light shining through the mist. You walked toward the bright light, becoming clearer that it was a campfire that someone was tending to. The person sitting nearby was donned in a cape that covered their entire body and face.

"Isis!" Gonner called, waving his hand, "I brought me new friend! Meet Y/N!"

The hooded figure turned around and pulled her hood down, revealing dreads and a face covered with bandages. The girl stood up and wandered over, rubbing her chin. "H/C hair... E/C eyes... I think she's safe."

"'Course she is," the pirate rolled his eyes, walking over and slinging his arm over the mummy's shoulders. "Y/N, this is Isis, me best friend! We've been through thick and thin! She is very superstitious though, and bad luck seems to follow her everywhere."

As if on cue a crow flew overhead, and Isis pulled her hood back up in time for white excrement to drop onto her. "Not this time, bird!"

Gonner glances at you, smiling, and shrugged half-heartedly in an 'i told you so' motion.

"So what is she doing here?" The mummy turned to her friend, side-eyeing you suspiciously, "You know last time we had a mortal here she just up and left! Are you crazy!"

"No! Y/N ain't no Dixie!"

You approach the mummy and frown, "...Dixie hurt you too?"

Isis nodded solemnly, "We were best friends, and then she abandoned me when she thought I was dead. At least I thought we were best friends, but she always ridiculed me. So you can understand why I'm so put-off," she crossed her arms. "Every mortal I've ever met has treated me or Gonner like trash."

"Wow, I'm really sorry that happened to both of you," you agree with her, and grow more spiteful towards Dixie. Unless Isis did something to deserve the treatment, which you doubted considering her friendship with Gonner, you figured Dixie just enjoyed slighting people. "But I promise I'm not like Dixie! I- I don't like her either. She goes to my school, and she has everyone fooled."

"See? Y/N is a member of me crew."

Isis gave you another scrutinising glance before turning back to the campfire, picking up a stick and holding it over the fire. You moved closer and saw beetles skewered onto the end. "Ew! I guess it's better than human brains though."

"It's not as bad as you think!" Gonner said, sitting down on an overturned log and holding his own stick over the flames. "Bugs are full of, er- uh..."

"Protein," Isis offered.

"That's the word!"

You snort at the pirate-boy and take your backpack off, unzipping it and pulling out a chocolate bar, "No thanks, I'll stick to normal-people-food."

You spent the next 2 hours sitting around the campfire, exchanging words with both the zombies. Isis seemed to warm up to you quickly, and gave a demonstration on how truly bad her luck was by getting pinched by one of the beetles on her skewer that was somehow still alive. You and Gonner laughed at her, and once she was done pouting she began to laugh as well.

Suddenly a little yip caught your attention and you looked around, seeing a small skinny puppy wander out from a bush nearby.

"Ahhh! Baby Dark Angel!" Isis shrieked, standing up, "How did you get in here?!"

Gonner put you behind himself protectively, aiming his stick at the small animal. "Don't come any closer!"

"Guys!" You coo, running out from behind the pirate and bending down beside the dog. It had a long muzzle and it's fur was grey and matted. You think you saw a flea or two, and you could clearly see it's ribs. "It's a puppy! A really malnourished puppy..."

"Well what are we gonna do with it?" the redhead asked, walking over. He bent down beside you and tentatively stuck his hand out for the animal to sniff. He smiled when the dog licked his fingers. "Ah, I can't eat ye! Yer too cute!"

The mummy refused to come closer, still convinced of it's dark nature.

"I should take it home!" You realised, picking the poor thing up. It yipped again and licked your nose, tail wagging as you cradled it in your arms. "It needs to go see a vet pronto."

"So yer not sleepin' here tonight?" Gonner asked, disappointed but understanding.

You shake your head and stand up with the dog in your arms, walking over to grab your backpack before turning back to the zombies. "I'm really sorry guys, but this is important!" You apologise before rushing back toward the gate and into the woods.

Behind you, Gonner sighed with a smile, "She's so carin' and lovin'. A real pirate's treasure..."

"No more falling for mortals!" Isis chided, and the pirate agreed, but his smirk was unsettling to her.