Bath

"You were dating her?" You ask, frowning.

He nodded, and you wished you could see his face more clearly. "Aye, she was me first mate, for sure. I should've known.." Despite the many pirate motifs you find yourself feeling sorry for the boy and place a hand on his shoulder, but then he continues, "..I should've known she'd never settle for a zombie like me."

You tear your hand away and jump back, "Z-zombie?!"

He staggers toward you with a hand out, long fingers grasping to have you close again. "Aye, bu-but I don't eat humans! I only eat cats, promise!"

You pause, closing your eyes for a moment. 'I'm having delusions. Wow, I've truly sunk this low. My brain is trying to make some sort of character to comfort me...' Breathing in, out, and repeating the process slowly before you re-opened your eyes, the pale 'zombie' was watching you sheepishly as your vision re-adjusted.

'Sure. This is normal.' You mentally berated yourself, before deciding to humour your brain. "So. What's a zombie doing around here?"

"I was tryin' to see if Dixie would like to spend time with me.. But I guess not."

Even though you were scared of him, even questioning his existence, you couldn't stand seeing him so upset. You hesitate, weighing your options, before pulling him into another hug. "You... could hang out with me if you want."

"Oh, really?! Thank ye!"

Surely a hallucination wouldn't react to your physical touch, right? You blink.

Considering the logistics of this right now wouldn't be helpful. Instead, you take his muddy hand and lead him out of the forest and down the trail, careful to not run into anyone on the way. You could hear him giggling behind you every so often, giddy that he made a new friend. Although he was still sad about the Dixie thing.

A few minutes later you're at your door. You open it and peek around the corner, listening out for your parents, but gesture for him to enter when you don't hear them. You realise the house is gonna smell really bad, so you pull Gonner to the bathroom.

"I'm sorry but you're gonna need to take a bath before you stay here for any longer."

He walks over to the tub and frowns, "I haven't seen one of these in a long time!" He gestures to the tub, before pointing to the taps, "What are these? When I was still sailin' the sea, we used to fill wooden buckets up with water. Ye are all so confusin' with yer contraptions these days."

"Well," you lean over and twist one of the tops and let water flow from it, "This is exactly like that except we have clean water and the taps do the pouring for you. Gotta also use hygiene products." Picking up a bar of soap from nearby, you handed it to him. "Careful, if you get it too wet it'll get slippy."

The loud noise of the water smacking against the bottom of the tub made the zombie startle a little in surprise, before he knelt on the floor beside it and swished the soap in the quickly-filling bathtub.

You spend a little while teaching him the basics, and he learns quickly. You blush and leave as he begins to take his shirt off and enter your brothers' room to look for some clothes for him. Your brother was almost never home anyway, surely he wouldn't care.

A loud 'THUMP!' came from the direction of the bathroom as you began to leave your brother's room with clothes in-hand. "You okay?" You ask tentatively, pressing your ear to the door.

"Ye were right! It did get slippy!" Gonner replied, a little too jovial, "...I fell!"