The Vet

D/N: Dog's Name.

You waited in the seating area with the scraggly little animal held tightly in your arms. You had spoken to the kind woman behind the counter who told you to take a seat, and that she would be making an emergency appointment with a veterinarian because you had brought a stray in.

There was an older woman sitting across from you with a pet carrier. The cat inside kept mewing, and while you found it adorable the puppy in your arms seemed to have other ideas as it scrambled to jump out from your grasp. You grunted with effort to keep the energetic pup against your body, and eventually the vet walked out, saving your arms from being ripped off from your body.

"Oh, they're an energetic one," the vet said with a chuckle, pulling a small collar and a leash from the shelf and walking over to you. "Can you hold 'em still for a sec? I'm just gonna put this on so you don't need to carry them everywhere. Sound good?"

You nod at the man and tighten your grip on the puppy a little more, sighing in relief when the heard the collar click into place. The puppy jumped from your lap and tried to make an immediate beeline for the cat carrier, but was stopped by the leash. You felt bad for the pup, but you knew this check-up was necessary. 

--

"Well, your puppy looks alright apart from the malnourishment and fleas. No health conditions that cannot be treated with a balanced diet and frequent washing. I can give you some shampoo specifically for treating the fleas, and some food that won't make the dog's body react negatively to being fed all of a sudden. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

You sighed in relief at the words the vet had to say, reaching over to give the dog a scratch behind the ear. "Uh, I was hoping you'd be able to tell me what type of animal he is?"

The vet raised a finger to his chin and tilted his head, "Just from a quick inspection it looks like you're quite possibly dealing with a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. Beautiful creatures, but need quite a lot of exercise and discipline."

"...Can I keep him?"

The man laughed and smiled, crossing his arms, "Hm, I don't see why not. As long as you take very good care of him. While he's recovering I'd like you to bring him in for frequent check-ups to make sure he stays happy and healthy throughout the process." The vet turned to the pup and bent over to be eye-to-eye with the animal that was standing on the table, "Do you want to go home with this nice young lady?"

The puppy barked and wagged it's tail.

"I suppose that's that then." He handed the leash to you and picked the dog up by it's midsection, placing it on the ground. Immediately the pup bounded over to you and grabbed the ends of your trousers, growling and trying to play tug of war with it. "Remember: frequent check-ups! And what is this handsome young fella's name, so I can add it to the list next time we see him?"

You think for a moment, before shrugging, "D/N, I guess. I wasn't really prepared to name a dog today," you laugh. "C'mon bud, let's get you home and into a bath. My mother is going to hate this."

D/N only responded with a baby-bark and began yanking at his leash with his teeth. Oh boy. You wonder if Gonner has any experience with dogs?

Edit 13/02/24: Changed the pre-set dog name to one you can enter yourself. Pre-set dog name was Conan.