chapter four [cam's pov]

another 45 minutes into class

"you will all be split into partners for this assignment. i'd like each of you to do research on the french revolution. la revolution francais." i know i spoke french fluently as a first language and all so this would surely be easy but i was sick and tired of this depressing classroom. even if it was just an hour. the thing is normally i wouldn't care but i felt like i had something to do today and for whatever reason i was in a rush for it. 

Just before she dove deep into talking about the brutal suppression, I listened vaguely.

"La revolution Francaise, etais amenée avec prix de récolte rigoureux"

When she did get into detail talking about the revolution my mind automatically went on auto-pilot and completely blurred out whatever she was saying. Listen, grades weren't my priority. 

"I demand this be turned in as work written in french." Mme. Beaux declares, directly staring into my soul. I looked off, hoping to get her eyes off me. I could sense she made it to the end of her long, painful essay about the revolution, which is a huge relief for me. It didn't make much of a difference after a few sharp seconds. I was still miserable. 

then again, cassie would make this entertaining. i knew i'd win any fight she could try and start. after a mind-numbing lecture about being enduring children as we are 'supposed to be', we could finally pick partners. The painful last minutes of class dragged on consistently. I twiddled my thumbs, rustling my hands together. 

"Wasn't she supposed to be done like- ten minutes go." I questioned in my head. This teacher couldn't piss me off more. I tried to look at least a fraction of how un-amused I was inside, hoping that she'd let us off the hook. 

"I'm doing this pathetic bunch of rats a favour" I thought, honourably. I check over on Draco, who's expression is also clearly unimpressed. I stretched my legs further, almost under Draco's chair. I wasn't tall which is hard to believe after the schools most kids ought to be used to certainly should or would have a good distance between each desk, but the gap between every students' desk at my school was, questionable to say the least. I was actually on the smaller spectrum of size. Draco was taller than me by a long shot. I fiddled with my pencil from beneath my desk. I hit my desk lightly in a rather repetitive motion, sloping my head over to the other side of the class. Me and Draco were on the left. Other kids seemed to be listening and two bunches of them were passing notes. Mme.Beaux had an obviously unpleased look on her face but the kids didn't care. They only cared when she yelled, which she didn't have the energy to do. Her voice the entire day was more low and hoarse than I'd heard it since she got a severe cold but was still forced to teach. Super stupid on behalf of the school but did anyone do anything about it? Of course not. That's how it worked here. Don't like something? Too bad. I fling my head backwards in a gentle motion and stare at the damaged class' ceiling. A couple bits of old chewed up gum hung in the corners or on those little arch things that kept the roof's  structure stable. 

a few boys groaned at the teacher's statement. "Come on." A boy urged quietly, from the back of the class in the corner. He was obviously hesitant on saying anything but I guess it was a habit and he spoke out loud. 

Great, he had a British accent. The problem wasn't his accent but his obnoxious piercing voice that made me automatically know he was that kid. 

i didn't rush up to my feet to find someone. i sat in my desk. i could've talked to someone but i didn't care enough, even if sitting was more boring. 

Draco was in the middle of arguing with some low-life boy across the isle who wouldn't shut up about his stupid rugby game he won. In the background, an unlit inky black street light stood, which was the only reason I was paying slight focus on Draco and his stupid nonsense he did on a daily basis.  

i can't get myself to relax after all those students being murdered. i sat quiet, stiff postured. i tried to stay away from eye contact no matter what it meant, but i couldn't help glare at parker Grevenique. no- don't get the wrong idea. i didn't like him-- have feelings for him. far from that, and not in a good way. he was the boy known for liking Cassidy. yeah Cassidy Schifer, i still couldn't wrap my head around it. He had no way to justify himself for it either. Cassidy's that girl who everyone hated but never wanted to say to her face and she still remained popular. 

_____________________

I turn over to the clear window. All I could see was the miserable forest, shrouded in long lanky pine trees. A neat carpet of mystical fog spread across it, kneading through and around each tree. There were also some more 'friendly' looking trees, but those hardly reached the average pine tree branch height. I guess I was so distracted I didn't notice the silence. And through the silence, I could focus on a low humming in the distance. I look over at Draco, raising an eyebrow. I gave him her signature 'you wanna go' stare. I turn my head over to look at the bored but still more entertained than me students. 

I leaned in, sending myself against my desk with my lower body now standing up. 

"Where's the teacher-" I whispered curiously at Draco, who'd been sketching something up in front of me in his notebook.

"Why would you ask him" I thought. "It's not like he pays attention", I told myself unamused.

He looked over, then stretched himself more to my direction. all of a sudden, i remembered the print on the book that girl draco harrassed in the hall was.

"I-" He barely reached mid way through the letter when a blaring TV glitch noise echoed across the room. I took a quiet swallow that only I, in the back of my mind heard.  Coming from the old announcement bells that the school's council never bothered to fix. I didn't know what this was, but fear swallowed me whole. And I knew, something was bound to happen. Something I felt I'd never want to hear.