chapter twelve. [cam's pov]

-- in the library---

"it took us so long to get here, we could've spent that time searching." draco urged at me. 

"yeah but i like to do things in a civilized manner. not running around the school aimlessly looking for something we have no information on." i told him calmly.

"that's why we're in the library. we can figure something out here." i said furthermore. me and draco both proceed with slow walking as we look carefully at each shelf and the statues. i didn't expect this step to help us immensely but because we had time it could be the boost we need. it was better than nothing and it was the best option out of everything we could do in the few minutes we had before clear-out.

clear-out was the time after classes. we had ten minutes to get what we need and go to our dorms. we had to be in our dorms for the next twenty-five minutes and then we'd get to have lunch. the school was strict about us being in our dorms right by the time the clear-out bell rung. we specifically were told to be in our dorms a minute before the deadline, and if we came the minute the bell was going to ring at the end of, we'd get a warning and no one wanted a warning from the janitor.

"i really don't think it's that effective but okay." he said.

his tone bothered me a bit.  "at least i was trying," i thought. too many people were unorganized and that included draco malfoy. 

"okay i need you to look through the bottom floor as fast as possible we have like a minute before we need to get going to our dormitory." i state.

draco picks at a few three books that were slightly separated from the rest of the stack and opens them each quickly and smoothly. finding the table of contents and quickly reading through it as he let his finger follow his sharp eye for reading.

draco immediately stops looking at the shelf we both came to when we first entered and gets going. he starts talking to me as i climb up the stairs to the second floor. i look around the library, flipping around the books. i picked a few that caught my eye and looked through them quickly. 

i could say i was rushing but i'd be lying. we were barely on our first step to finding the book and i had hope. it was funny i got my hopes up so high when i was always let down in all of my life.

i didn't expect much though but i tried to stay positive, reminding myself we had six days and i could already feel we were close to finding the book. 

i shuffle through the books. it was my main focus and i let everything else go. draco would occasionally speak and i could catch it. 

"it really is a tragedy," draco barely finished.

"what is-" i said being cut off by malfoy. i guess i thought he finished his sentence when i spoke so when he added to it, his voice layered on the is of mine.

"the fact a commoner like you, has to separate from my stellar charm for a book."

he said, tauntingly. 

"if that makes you feel any better about yourself go ahead, blondie." i mumble, sounding as if my voice rolled its eyes if that even makes sense.

i was sure draco heard me when he shuffled over and i could feel his gaze on me through the corner of my eye. he had his leg gripped on one of the shelf levels and was trying to reach the top stack.

how extra. i couldn't say i was surprised though. 

Draco did a lot of things that were unnecessary- like waiting two hours and skipping lunch to pull a pathetic prank on that rugby kid's friend in a specific room which didn't even affect the entire thing at all. he said it was because it 'played off in his head that way'. he still owes me for me skipping the first 30 minutes of lunch when i usually came to the cafeteria early before anyone else got to the food first. i had fifteen minutes to eat for that reason and spent the entire morning doing research so i skipped breakfast. partially because i was occupied with research but mainly because by the time i got to the cafeteria it was far beyond full and i was in a rush. but, i can't deny that draco got me some food since he made it there only a minute before me.

i let out a deep breath as i let go of my reach for the third-highest shelf. i hear draco huff in the background and let out a snicker.

"seriously that boy is still watching me." i thought.

"my gosh." i whisper to myself, knowing well nobody would hear me.

i just astutely edge my head over to him and give him a dead stare, letting my eyelids drift down.

suddenly, a bright idea comes to mind. 

"I'll grab some books I like from here!" I say in a humble, happy tone muttering to myself.  

a dark brown book catches my eye.

on its side, the angle i saw it at, it read "divinity." 

i grab the peculiar book. it's texture was rough and gritty but it slides between my hands smoothly. i look through a page, reading a few sentences of it at the top of my head, amused. i hold it in my hand. surprisingly for such a heavy book, it barely weighed anything. i let it swing off my clutch and watch it land comfortably on the soft ottoman. 

"i hate to be the one to say this but we should start getting to the dormitories." i say cleanly to draco, turning my head politely at him who had a pile of books sitting by him on the floor. 

"alright" he flashes looking back at me before picking up the pile of books.

it was a pile of four and i was surprised he seemed so fascinated by their contents.

i quickly dash down the raggedy stairs of the library to see draco waiting for me by the door. he of course was admiring his reflection.  draco appeared to notice the painting right by the door, only a few inches away. he tuts his neck back a little to get a better look at it right as i follow up from behind him, starting out the door. he comes after me. 

i could hear him glide the top book off the stack he held and clasps it in his other hand, somehow managing to carry the large pile in his other arm with ease.  i look over at him and he gives me what looks to be nearly smile that was intended to make me feel better and, it did.