☠ Chapter - 23 ☠

Song: Intro - The xx

Jaine

        "How do you know him, Ethan?" I repeated.

"He's killed so many of my men, Jaine. You have no idea" He sighed.

Just then we heard Walden calling out my name. He looked at me "Just go and tell the police to stop looking for me. If they do that, I might come and try to even help you willingly."

Before I could say anything, he opened the door and disappeared in the dark.

I took slow steps outside the room and suddenly the lights came back on.

I spotted Walden at the entrance of the store looking stressed and trying to get his phone to start.

"Walden" He snapped his head towards me and sighed in relief. "I am fine" I assured him and he looked at me head-to-toe checking for injuries.

"Where were you, Jaine? You gave me a heart attack! Even the lights were out and my phone wouldn't work. I couldn't even turn on the torch-" He rambled and I cut him off "Relax Wald" I touched his arm "I am here and I am fine. Let's go back home and I will tell you everything, I promise."

We left and I had to order his medicines online because the store remained unattended even after Ethan had gone away.

"I think you should rest-" I started when we entered our house but was cut off with a sharp glare from Walden.

"Don't try to hide anything from me, Jaine" he gritted, frustrated with me.

"I am not, I am going to tell you everything but you need to rest first and-"

"Just STOP it, Jaine" He yelled and I stilled.

"I am tired of this."

I felt my heart drop when I heard those words coming out of his mouth.

He held his head in his hand. "This constant fear of losing you any minute. It's making me go insane."

"And then you try to keep things from me, not knowing it's doing the opposite of helping me in any way."

I kept looking at him, noticing how tired he looked. He looked as if he had aged ten years in a span of few days.

I felt my throat constricting "Wald, I-"

"I never could have imagined in my wildest dreams that our marriage would come to an end and in this way."

I gasped and stared at him shocked.

It took me a long moment to process what he was actually saying.

"You- I- saying what--" I managed to get out a few words after what felt like an hour of silence.

He looked at me, not a trace of emotion on his face.

"Like I said, I am tired of this. It's too much for me to handle, Jaine."

I felt my breath get knocked out of me.

Uncontrollable tears started dropping down my eyes but I didn't move my eyes away from his.

"You want to leave me?" I whispered after a pause.

He looked straight ahead and didn't say a word.

I felt like my soul was being ripped into pieces and I couldn't do anything about it.

I fell down on my knees in front of him while he just sat rigidly on the couch.

"Just tell me this is a prank or whatever Walden" I sobbed "Because I-I-I- can't take t-this. Di-d something happene-d? Is there something that-that you're not telling me? A-Are you being blackmailed by h-him or something?"

I took a deep breath, trying to control the asthma attack that I could feel coming.

In my teary vision, I could see my pump being offered to me. He maintained his distance from me. The same man who would leave whatever he was doing whenever I cried was now keeping his distance when I was on the verge of having an asthma attack.

It caused me a great amount of pain along with a new emotion.

Anger.

I took it from his hands and threw it away, which knocked off the vase on the table beside me causing it to shatter on the floor.

Shards of glass flew on my face making me close my eyes.

I hissed when I felt one of them cutting my cheek. The blood started dripping down my cheek and I wiped at it angrily, my cheek stinging badly.

Walden didn't even move a muscle at all which made my heart break even more into a million pieces.

It was like he had changed into a completely different person; an emotionless freak whom I didn't recognize at all.

I closed my eyes and took slow deep breaths to calm myself down.

"Just say it Walden. Just say that you want me to go away from your life and I will" I said, after mustering up the courage.

"I want us to go our separate ways" he said in a heart beat but he wouldn't look me in the eye.

I stood up and walked closer to him "Look me in the eyes and then say it, Walden."

I saw frustration in his eyes.

Any emotion was better than no emotion at all.

He glared at me. Something he would only do when I would hurt myself or was being careless with myself in the past.

"STOP this nonsense right now, Jaine. Just accept it that I no longer desire to be with you."

"Why now all of a sudden?" I snapped at him.

"Because I never imagined you would come with these big problems!"

He continued "I don't know if you have realised but, the past few months with you? They have been hell."

"This psychopath? He's just a fucking cherry on the top!"

I felt my body go cold "What do you mean, Wald?"

He looked again at me with that emotionless face "I have been wanting to separate from you for a year now."

I heard ringing in my ears when he said that.

"Why?" I managed to ask.

He laughed a bitter laugh "Why? You ask why? Its because of you! You never have time for me, for us. You are always busy with your college and if it's not that, you're working! When was the last time you had agreed to come to an office party of mine? Oh, and I don't know if you remember but were you able to make it to my promotion party last year?!"

I turned completely silent.

He was actually right.

It was my fault that our marriage was falling apart.

I had tried making it to his promotion party but my big sister Hailey had gotten into a severe car crash and I had to rush to be there with her.

I wished desperately that I could have done things differently in the past. It was all my fault.

The psychopath, like Walden said, was just a cherry on the top.

I turned around and started walking towards the door, wanting to go outside before I lose my mind.

"Where are you going, Jaine?" I turned around and saw what looked like a trace of worry in his eyes while his hand held his phone in a crushing grip.

"You are right, Wald. It's not your fault that we couldn't make this marriage work. You did everything you could have and I am grateful that I met someone like you, someone who I will always love no matter what" I smiled at him through my tears and walked out in the cold night.

A/N: Who is cutting the damn Onions? Not me!

I would say 'I hoped you liked this chapter' but even I didn't like what went down between these two.