☠️ Chapter - 10 ☠️

Song: All The Stars - Kendrick Lamar, SZA

SZA is so beautiful..

Jaine

      I woke up in a hospital room. I raised my hand to touch my throbbing head to find it tightly wrapped up with a thick bandage. On looking around the room, I spotted Walden seated in an uncomfortable chair with his head held in between his hands.

He looked up and sighed in relief when he saw I was awake.

He came to my side dragging the chair along with him. "How are you feeling?" He asked taking my hand in between his.

"My head throbs but I'm fine" I smiled weakly at him, trying to reassure him that I was alright.

"I got so worried" he continued "I couldn't protect you and I feel so ashamed right now."

"It isn't your fault that some lunatic is after me" I said remembering what just happened a few hours ago and a shiver of fear passed down my body.

Just then officer Elroy and detective Arthur entered, Arthur's eye zeroing on our clasped hands. "How are you doing, Mrs. Austen?" Officer James asked.

"I've been better" I smiled weakly at him.

"I think we should let the doctor check her once before we talk any further about the case" Walden said and officer Elroy nodded. He left us with detective Arthur in tow. Once the doctor checked me and explained about medicines to Walden, I was good to go. I just suffered from a head injury and a few scrapes on my body.

I settled on the couch with Walden on my side and faced officer Elroy & Detective Arthur who sat across the table.

"You guys said you caught him but...?" I broke the silence and came just to the point.

"He is a cunning bastard" James Elroy commented and carried on "When your husband ran off after him, we followed and caught him after much difficulty. We thought he had been behind this until we found you."

"So this means there were two men..." I concluded.

I told them everything that happened with me when Walden left me and he looked furious.

"Were you able to gather anything else?" Detective Arthur asked.

"Nothing apart from his green eyes" I told them.

"The guy who was stalking must be one of his men. At least, we caught him. He can be very useful for us in this investigation" Detective Arthur commented after some time.

"He is.... sly. He used his goon and made him stand there. He knew we were watching. He did this on purpose, obviously. When Wald went after him, he was somewhere near us and he sneaked inside the house by breaking the window. I have no doubt now that he was the man who did the same thing on that night" I whispered the last part and everyone stared at me.

Officer Elroy's phone started ringing and he excused himself taking the call.

"Did you get the chance to interrogate him?" I asked Detective Arthur.

"No, we haven't yet but I'm looking forward to it" he said to me and I nodded.

"Cade black's phone has been traced!" Officer Elroy said hurriedly and then both of them were out of the house in a minute, leaving me and Walden shocked.

"I hope they are able to find him alive" I said to Walden and he nodded at me.

"How do you feel now?" He asked, embracing me in his arms.

"I'll be fine. I can't wait to get rid of him, Wald" I continued "I miss our peaceful life. H-He entered our house and he almost had me today" I shivered in fear when I said that.

He tightened his arms around me "We will be fine, love."

Just then I remembered something "Who found me lying here?"

"I did" he said, looking pained "You were knocked out and I felt as if I was too late and lost you."

"I'll never leave you, Wald" I smiled at him "Even if it's the last thing you want me to do."

We got a call from officer Elroy that Cade Black had been found, breathing but he had sustained many critical injuries. He was in the hospital and they were going to interrogate him once he gains his consciousness.

"We can visit him once you get better" Walden said to me and I nodded at him. Even if I do tell him that I want to visit him tomorrow, he wouldn't let me.

The next day he was dead set on me not going to college but I somehow managed to convince him. I can't miss more days. Just because of this unknown psycho, I had to take at least a day or two off every week and there's a limit to how many days I can take off and clearly, if things kept going this way I'd surpass the limit in just a few days.

"Don't forget to take your medicines at lunch and call me when your classes are over" Walden reminded me as I got off the car and nodded at him.

I went inside and met Calvin on the way.

"What happened to your head?" He asked right away when he saw me.

"I tripped on the stairs and fell down" I lied and smiled sheepishly at him.

"Seems like Walden's not taking good care of you" he joked and I stilled for a moment at his comment before quickly excusing myself to go to my class.

This is the first time he has ever said something like this.

I entered my English class and waited for the professor to come to class patiently. A lot of people were chattering around and I sat alone thinking about my perfect peaceful life turned upside down now.

"Hey Jaine, how are you doing? Haven't seen you since the day you helped me" I raised my head to meet Kevin's friendly green eyes.

I suddenly remembered the pale green eyes I saw yesterday and turned rigid.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked concerned.

I have him a tight smile "I'm alright, Kevin. What about you?"

"Are you sure? Because the bandage on your head says otherwise" he pointed out.

Before I could reply, the professor came and started the lecture. For the first time in the class, I completely zoned to what he was saying.

Kevin's eyes remind me of his eyes.

I started receiving notes roughly at the same time Kevin appeared in college. Was it just a mere coincidence I ran into him on the first day of college?

I froze with fear.

What if Kevin is the stalker?