☠️ Chapter - 16 ☠️

Song: One Love - Blue

Jaine

I woke up to someone moaning in pain and I instantly shot up from the chair I had fallen asleep on. A wave of dizziness washed over me and I leaned against the wall for a few seconds.

I walked towards Walden "Let me get the doctor for you."

He held my wrist with his uninjured side weakly before I could press the buzzer. "No" he croaked.

I nodded and helped him drink a glass of water. "I'm just bringing the chair over here" I assured him when I saw the pleading look in his eyes. He thought I was leaving him.

I dragged the chair beside him and sat down. I held his hand tightly.

He had woken up six hours after being admitted but this was the first time I had talked to him. It has been three days. He was given pain killers every time he woke up because he was in so much pain. Those medications made him sleep instantly.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, not able to look at him. I knew I would cry if I continued looking at him.

"Better.... I can't feel my other arm" he said, his voice coming out strained.

Just then the doctor entered for his daily check up and he looked surprised to find him awake.

"Hello Mr. Austen, I'm Dr. Hammer. How do you feel?" He asked, giving him a small smile.

"Sore... a low throbbing pain where I was stabbed. I.... can't feel my right arm."

"I see, it was expected" he continued, giving us a sympathetic smile "Don't worry, you would be able to move your arm with rehabilitation. Your tendons are torn and your artery is a bit damaged."

I looked at Walden. There was no trace of emotion.

"We'll start with that after you are discharged which is going to take a day or two" he informed us and left.

"Jaine, look at me."

I looked at him, holding my tears back.

"I'll be fine, love. You look.... terrible" he continued, looking at me tenderly "Why don't you call Hunter or Ava? They can be there with... you while you take some rest."

"No! I'm not calling anyone. It's going to endanger their life too" I said, terrified "Most importantly, what if he comes back to finish what he started?" I whispered the last part.

I didn't want to tell him about the phone call just yet, not in this condition. I needed to talk about this with Officer Elroy and Detective Arthur.

He opened his mouth to say something before someone else spoke from behind me "No one can come in here. There are two guards stationed right outside the door."

Arthur came forward and stood on the other side of the bed.

"Can you take care of her until I'm out?" Wald asked.

Arthur nodded "I have been trying to get her out of this chair since three days but she wouldn't leave your side."

Walden looked at me and I glared at Arthur.

"I'll be waiting outside" he said and left the room.

"Look at yourself, Jaine" He looked angry "Your head is bandaged again. You are weak and exhausted. Have you looked at yourself in the mirror? I'm just asking you to go and get some rest. You can run back here after that. Please" He begged.

I stood up silently ignoring his stare. I kissed his cheek and bid him goodbye without looking back.

I talked to the policemen standing outside his door and pleaded them not to leave the door even for a minute.