☠️ Chapter - 7 ☠️

Song: Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers ft. Daya

Jaine

            "You are joking, right?" I asked him hoping he would burst out laughing any moment.

"What are you talking about?" He asked confused. I slumped on the couch "You are not the one who writes me notes? Who is it then? Oh my god! They have been inside our house!"

Walden came and sat down next to me. He took the note out of my hand and read it out aloud. His eyes widened for a fraction of the second "Where did you find this, Jaine?"

"In our bedroom" was my only reply. I could feel my body turning colder by the second because of anxiety and fear.

He kept the note on the table and wrapped his arms around to help me calm down. After minutes of being in each other's embrace in silence I broke the hug and spoke "I started receiving these notes about me just almost a week ago. The first two notes were admiring my 'beauty' and I thought it was you but after reading this note I realised it isn't you."

"What made you think it was me? Where did you find them?" Walden asked with a straight face.

"They have the same handwriting as you and also the endearment 'love' only which you use for me. I found the first one outside our main door and the second one on this table" I said and I pointed to the table beside us "Since they were inside the house, I obviously thought it was you."

I felt afraid. Whoever this person is has been inside our house twice and their latest visit was just a few minutes before we came back to our house.

"I'm going to call officer Elroy" he said and immediately called him.

Fifteen minutes later, we were sitting in our living room with officer James and detective Arthur. "Do you have the other two notes with you?" James asked after I told them everything.

"Yes, I do. They're in my bedside drawer."

"Mrs Austen, you go to college, right? Do you have any suspect there? Anyone who might have had a crush on you or whom you are suspicious of?" Detective Arthur asked, his eyes darting from me to Walden then back to me.

Walden looked at me and I looked back at him. I had told him about Calvin but I was sure that it wasn't him.

"A fellow classmate did like her but he didn't know that she was married. I have met the guy and I don't think he's the one behind stalking Jaine" Walden answered and I was glad he thought the same thing as me.

"Yes, Calvin and I have been friends since then and that was two years ago when I joined the university. I don't think he is behind this" I added after him.

"I see, anyone else who seems suspicious? Do you think Jack could be behind this?" Detective Arthur asked playing with the latest note left by the stalker.

"No, I don't think so. I remember him asking me if I was new since he had never seen me there before and I always made sure to stay out of his sight when he was in the diner. I don't think he ever saw me before" I said to him.

"I'm going to file a complaint and also I think it's best if we leave two officers outside your house until whoever it is gets caught. The stalker has come inside your house already and knows his way in & out. He could have done serious damage to you & Mr. Austen but, we are lucky he didn't" James said as he wrote something in a file.

"I'm quite shaken up by the fact that he entered whenever he pleases even when the door was locked all the time" I said to James.

"He must have made a duplicate key for it. I would suggest you get your lock changed as soon as possible. I think we should leave now. Don't worry, I'm going to leave my two best officers outside your house to ensure your safety" James said as he got up and Detective Arthur followed.

"Wait! I think we forgot to mention something..." I said as I got up and Walden looked at me.

Detective Arthur and officer Elroy looked at me intently.

"I don't know if that's related or not but after I got my first note, someone pushed the main power button off of our house. Also, on the same day someone threw a stone on our glass window and when we went to check I might have seen someone standing outside, leaning against the tree and looking right at me" I told them and both of them looked at each other.

"May I know why didn't you report it to the police?" James asked.

"It's my fault" Walden said "It was snowing very hard that day and I didn't think much of it. I didn't even believe Jaine when she told me that she saw someone because I thought it was insane of someone to just stand outside and wait for us to catch him in such a weather at night."

"Were you by any chance able to see his face?" Detective Arthur asked me.

"No, I just saw a silhouette but I did see his brooch twinkling in the light" I told him.

"I think this might be related. Also, I'd like to advise that you keep those notes with you because they might come in handy later" James said and then both me & Walden went outside with them to talk about the case.

Both of them left after making sure that two officers occupied the main door of our house. I felt bad for them because it was cold outside, so me and Walden insisted that they could guard us at night while resting in the living room at night to which they reluctantly agreed.

"I'm sorry Jaine, I didn't believe you. We should have reported that to the police immediately" Walden said feeling guilty.

"I don't blame you Walden, it's okay. I would have seen the logical side too if I were at your place" I said as I flipped through the pages of my book.

A week had gone by and I hadn't got a note. There was no news to what happened to Cade Black and no whereabouts of Jack.

I was getting ready for college when my phone rang and I saw it was Detective Arthur "Jack Swartz's dead body has been found" he said and I gasped feeling horrified.