☠️ Chapter - 13 ☠️

Song: By Your Side - Jonas Blue ft. RAYE

Jaine

I stopped and he came to stand in front of me. "What were you doing at the police station, Jaine?" He asked as I started walking out, surprised he is initiating a conversation with me.

"Just a few passport formalities, what about you?" I lied.

He shrugged "I was just there for a personal family matter."

"Alright, see you later Ethan" I said as we stepped out of the college and he nodded at me.

I spotted Walden's car and started walking towards him. Out of nowhere, a car came slipping on the snow, straight towards me.

My eyes widened and before I could do anything, someone pulled me backwards and I ended up falling on top of them. The sound of a crash registered in my ears and I tried to get up from on top of the person but failed miserably due to the snow.

"Jaine!" I heard Walden and soon I was brought to a sitting position by his help.

He crouched down in front of me, worried "Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?" He continued "Your head is starting to bleed again!"

I moved my head to the side and saw the car had crashed into the lamppost and a crowd was surrounding it. Then, I remembered the person who had helped me and looked at his face.

He groaned and then sat up. "Ethan?"

He looked at me "Your bandage is soaked in blood. You should go see a doctor."

Walden helped me stand up and I suddenly felt dizzy. "Thank you so much for helping her. Are you alright?" I heard him ask.

"I'm fine" he said.

Walden rushed me into the car and took me to the hospital.

"Your wound had just started healing and you opened it again, Mrs. Austen" The doctor sighed.

"But how? I mean, I didn't even hit my head that hard-"

"Well it was still tender and when you hit your head, albeit not so hard on that man's chest, it opened up again" he explained.

I remained silent while he patched my head with a thicker bandage now.

"I'm writing down some painkillers and I expect you to take those on time and take care of yourself" he said and I nodded, smiling gratefully at him.

My husband came inside when the doctor excused himself.

He sat down beside me and pinched the bridge of his nose. He looked at me and then sighed.

I hugged him "I am sorry."

This had him sit straighter "Why are you saying sorry, love?"

"Because I'm attracting nothing but trouble nowadays and I hate to see you like this" I said to him, breaking the hug.

"It's not your fault" he cupped my cheek "The driver slammed the brakes but his car wouldn't stop slipping on the snow. I'm so glad you are fine. It just seems everything wants to take you away from me."

"I'll be fine and I'll always be with you, I promise" I smiled at him "Is that man alright?"

"Yes."

"Let's go to the police station now" I said and he nodded at me defeatedly.

We had to wait for half an hour or so until officer Elroy and Detective Arthur showed up.

"Sorry to make you wait, we were in the hospital to see Cade Black's body" Arthur said as he entered with James in tow.

He took one look at me and asked "Are you alright, Mrs Austen? This bandage looks fresh."

"I met with a little accident before coming here....."

"What happened?" Mr. Elroy asked.

Walden told them everything and then Mr. Elroy said "We are glad you are alright."

"Anything on Cade Black's case?" Walden asked.

"Well, it seems like he was kidnapped by someone and he managed to get out, albeit barely alive" Arthur told us, looking at Walden.

"Was it the same psycho who caught Jack?" I asked.

"No, it wasn't. He didn't have the same wounds and also, it was impossible for the same person to kidnap both Jack and Cade at the same night because it would take a lot of time."

"Then, who do you think is behind this?"

"We are suspecting someone from business. He must have a business rival. He was a famous billionaire and successful at a young age" Mr. Elroy said.

"Any clues on the stalker?" Wald asked.

Both of them sighed "We tried everything  with his pawn but he wouldn't open his mouth" Arthur told us "He doesn't has a family and the stalker chose his man carefully."

"But there must be something, anything. Why would his pawn go through hell for him for no reason at all?" I stressed.

"That's what we are trying to find out" Arthur said, his green eyes looking defeated.

"When is Cade Black's funeral?" I asked.

"About three hours later" Mr. Elroy said, checking the time on his watch.

"Alright, let's go home Jaine" Wald holds my hand and we go outside.

The drive to home was silent. "I think we should go to his funeral" I said as we pulled up outside our house.

"Right" He said as he unbuckled his seat belt "You need to rest first."

Three hours later, we were standing outside the Crematorium. Walden and me walked hand-in-hand inside. There was quite a large amount of people, all of them wearing expensive clothes. They must be business man from all over the world.

Cade Black's death was on the front page of every news paper. I spotted paparazzi weren't being let in by the security. Detective Arthur arrived and helped us in getting inside.

We got inside and I looked at Cade's body inside the coffin. He suffered a lot of injuries, his body was covered in bruises and cuts from head to toe and I had to look away.

"Jaine" Walden got my attention "I have to take this call. You need to come outside with me, I can't leave you alone here."

"Don't worry about him Mr. Austen, I'll stay here with Mrs. Austen" Arthur assured him.

"I'll be back in a few minutes. Stay safe" He disappeared outside.

Me and Arthur sat down and I suddenly blurt out "Why do you keep staring at my husband?"

This caught him off guard and his cheeks turned red "Was it that obvious?" He muttered.

"I'm sorry for that, it's just that he looks a lot like my ex-boyfriend. Their resemblance is so uncanny that I can't help but stare" he said looking anywhere but me.

"It's alright. I thought you had a crush on him" I tried to smile at him.

Arthur excused himself when someone came to talk to him about Cade's case but he made sure to stay in my view.

A yellow note under my shoe caught my attention and I froze. How long had it been there unnoticed by me? With trembling hands I picked it up and it said

I didn't want to kill this poor soul but he was trying to get close to what's mine, love. By the way, try keeping an eye out for your good for nothing husband.