38.

Amora

I slowly made my way down the line of tables, tapping my nails onto the tray in my hands as I scanned the room.

I slowed down my pace once I spotted two unfamiliar faces that sat with Will, Mads, and Carrie.

I examined them for a moment before shrugging, walking over and instantly making all of their heads whip up towards me once I approached the table.

"Hey guys" I waved, setting my tray down and taking a seat in between Carrie and Will.

"Oh Amora! I met these guys in my English class today. This is Theo and Penelope" Madeline smiled, motioning to the two who sat in front of me.

"Oh, hi I'm Amora" I smiled, reaching over and holding my hand out.

"Oh we know, your name is mentioned quite a lot around here" Penelope laughed, shaking my hand.

"Oh, it is? Well I hope it's mentioned with good things?" I titled my head, cracking an unsure smile.

"It is, don't worry" Theo now added, giving me a smile once he shook my hand.

"So..then are you guys new? I've never seen you around?" I questioned, folding my hands back down into my lap.

"Eh not really I've lived around here but I just transferred from the school that's like next door" Theo shrugged, explaining his situation.

"And I moved from Texas. I guess that's why we got along well with Madeline, we're all new to this school" Penelope chimed in, motioning to the two who sat next to her.

"Oh, well you'll totally love it! Now that you got us!" I smiled, wrapping my arms around Carrie and Williams shoulders.

"Well, our usual ritual with new friends are makeovers, but I don't think we need too with you guys?" Carrie titled her head, looking over towards me.

I slowly nodded, glancing up towards the pink ribbon in Penelope's hair.

"Yeah! You guys have real nice style. I'm way digging that hair ribbon" I smiled, motioning to the fabric tied around her ponytail.

"Hey, what do you say we all hang out tonight. We're all going to the fair with our other friends you wanna come?" Carrie suggested, looking back over to the two.

Penelope and Theo both looked at each other before slowly nodding, making Carrie and I smile as we glanced towards each other.

——

"Ah! I'm so excited, we've made so much new friends so far this year already!" Carrie smiled, happily skipping next to me.

"I know right, would've never thought I could actually get along with other people besides you" I laughed, shaking my head at the thought.

"Not since Benny. You've turned all soft. You're totally smitten over the boy. You're happier, less angry at the world. Oh isn't it super adorable?" Carrie teased, nudging my arm with a laugh.

"Pfft..as if. Yeah, whatever" I rolled my eyes, smiling as I brushed her off.

"I'm being serious? You're like..eh what's the word. Glowing? You're totally glowing!" She insisted, throwing her hands up excitedly.

"Yeah that's called..makeup? You, of all people should know that" I breathed, shaking my head as I waved her away.

"Uh..no. You hardly even wear makeup! I'm the one who's got to do it for you" she protested, pointing towards her chest.

"Well then I guess my skin just naturally glows? Awe thanks Carrie you're so sweet!" I smiled sarcastically, nudging her arm with a smirk.

She threw head back with a huff, rolling her eyes as she waved me away. "Oh whatever"