Chapter 1

• • •

• • •

Bourbon Street was filled with humans – locals, tourists all the same – chatting around 'witches' reading them cards, predicting their futures, answering their questions with answers they wanted to hear and whatnot.

Elizabeth sighed for the hundredth time since her long journey with Machae from London to New Orleans. The city of New Orleans was perfect to describe as tourist destination, specifically the French Quarter.

Especially if you are a fan of witchcraft. They got all the voodoo-woodoo play toys here.

"That's like your millionth sigh, Iz." Machae rolled her eyes. "I still don't understand why you're coming with me."

"For the hundredth time, there's no way I'm letting you go on this revenge-bender alone." Iz said, 'especially not in your condition right now' she added in her head.

After all she got front row seat at Machae's wallowing and drowning in her lowest point for the past months.

"But I am allowed to sigh as many times as I want after what seemed like forever journey. This street better do have a good real bourbon." Her eyes wandered around the street.

As she was looking around, she noticed Machae being unusually quiet. She had been for the whole ride, but she became extremely more quiet when they reached New Orleans.

It was equally weird and concerning especially after she had finished several bottles of alcohol – that she somehow managed to sneak in from the airport.

Iz decided she had had enough of this. She grabbed Machae by the arm and dragged her to the side of the street with less people.

"Ok. What is it?" She faced Machae.

Machae looked at her confused as Iz rolled her eyes.

"You've been uncharacteristically quiet the whole ride and even more when we got here."

Machae moved her attention from the street to her. She felt nauseous just by being there.

Not only the town awfully reeked of witches' magic, the sense of power was overwhelming, but also because of her past in this city.

Even with the crowded people, happy faces, the different architecture, she was stuck in the past.

"This is where it all started, Iz. New Orleans." Machae told Iz. She had a far away look in her face. "I was turned here."

In her head, she was filled with her past memories of when she visited here with her fellow Dark Forces on their last mission together.

She could see Hexa wrapped around William, smiling giving each other their lovey-dovey eyes, kissing occasionally. Alex and her wouldn't quit their banter where eventually ended up with Machae cracked up by something Alex said.