Chapter 22

• • •

• • •

When I woke up in the familiar underground of the Garden, both hands hanging from the ceiling, I was not surprised.

The amount of times I've been in this position astound me, I mentally rolled my eyes. He does realise I can break the chains right?

They could at least make it more creative and...hygiene.

I mean I get it. This was supposedly a torture area but seriously? I felt like I was in a dirt house and it stinks as hell. My nose was violated.

Honestly, I was more concerned about my hygiene than whatever torture they prepared for me.

"What is this about?" I asked Marcel, who was creepily standing at the corner watching me his whole time.

"I know it all, Nat. I know who you are."

"Hmm..." I kind of expected this, hence why I reacted so calmly. "Rebekah I presumed?"

"She uncovers the truth." He defended.

"What do you know?"

"I know you're not a regular vampire, Nat."

"Really now? Go ahead. Show off all your findings." I challenged, while Marcel not noticing I was actually fishing for what he actually knew.

"Your whole history? All your secrets? Would've taken all day, Nat and I don't have that." He answered confidently.

He started circling me around, making me roll my eyes as this was the typical tension building move. "I know why you're here. It all makes sense now why you are so interested in the Shadow Knight pack."

"He took your kingdom, destroyed your life and somehow made you go into hiding, isn't that right, Petrova?" He eyed me intensely, observing my reaction - which was basically a poker face.

"With luck, the little witch, Jane-Anne found the hidden Queen and you ended up here." He stared me straight in the eye. "Answer me honestly, what deal did you make with them?"

"Shadow Knight pack information for your absence in this town."

"Damn it, Nat!" He cursed. "Why didn't you tell me? I mean I get it you were scouting the situation at first and that you are basically hired to banish me out of my city but come on! You know I would pick vampires over witches anytime soon."

"That is why you're still here."

"Yea like that make it any better with you still firing my ass." He deadpanned. "You know, you've got quite a name - the ruthless queen of Scots - I was actually a fan. It takes guts to casually chop off a man's arm in public."

"Even more when you present a public execution." I smiled sassily.

He ignored my sass. "I respect your leadership - what you built. You and me - we understand what it takes to rule. What other people see as ruthless, I see discipline. There's always a reason behind every action we take. We even made the same policy for the witches! -"