Chapter 21

• • •

• • •

The morning in New Orleans was gloomy and silent. Inside the St. Ann's church, Rebekah was talking to Father Kieran. Rebekah was in the confessional booth, talking through a screen to an annoyed Father Kieran.

"I should never have come back here. This is the town where I fell in love-- and where love failed us. I assume you know who I'm talking about?" Rebekah questioned him.

"You should know Marcel and I are not on the best of terms right now." Father Kieran answered.

"But you are an active priest, are you not? Ready and able to hear my confession?"

"Usually the word 'willing' falls somewhere in that sentence." He sassed. "Are you even Catholic?"

"I've been on this Earth for a thousand years. I can't say for certain that I believe in anything like a God. But, I need absolution from someone. Anyone. So, will you hear my confession or not?" Father Kieran sighed and nodded silently.

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I am a liar, a betrayer. I have conspired against my own blood and one I considered my sister. I doubt even your God could save me."

• • •

24 hours earlier...

In Niklaus' bedroom in Mikaelson's mansion, neither Niklaus nor Natalia had woken up. They had been too exhausted from the passionate night they just had. They were still tangled up in one another underneath the white sheet covering their naked bodies. One of his arms were snaked underneath her neck down to her chest and the other were wrapped around her waist, hugging her like a pillow. Her hands rested on top of him, while he snuggled his head on her neck. 

Unfortunately, their peaceful sleep was interrupted by the incessant sound of vibrating phone which belonged to Natalia. She squinted her eyes in annoyance as her hand was trying to find her phone on the bedside table. 

When she finally found it, she answered it without looking at the caller ID since she was still too sleepy to open her eyes. "Hello?" She croaked. 

"Goodness sake Tal, did you just wake up?" She flinched a bit at how loud she was, praying it didn't wake Nik up. She glanced at the time on her phone and cursed Rebekah silently since it was only 7 in the morning – it was usually a late time for her but since she was still exhausted, she couldn't care less. She looked to her right and saw he was still sleeping peacefully, she smiled at the sight. Slowly she tried moving his arms while trying not to wake him. But failed as he just tightened his arms around her. Little did she know, Nik was awake already. 

"What is it, Bekah?" She grumbled in annoyance. She was still groggy and annoyed that she was awoken by her. 

"I'm bored out of my mind. Everyone is busy with themselves." She successfully removed his arms around her and went to sit up at the edge of the bed with only the bed sheet covering her naked body. "I'll go crazy if I go one more day with nothing to do." Rebekah sighed dramatically on the other line.