Overtime

"Working overtime again?"

I gave my co-worker a tired grin before nodding. He shot me an apologetic one before hopping off the elevator with a lilt in his steps. I could only sigh as I stared as the elevator doors closed and his smile disappearing behind the metal doors. I, for a second envied him. Man, I wish I'd be off soon.

Much to my dismay, the suspicion I had about working overtime almost every night came true as the merge between the two companies was finalized. Work has been stacking nonstop and Lisa wanted no errors. She had been giving me a hard time (lol when did she not?) more than usual. I complained a lot to Chaeng saying that she's doing it on purpose but my cousin only gave a look and said that I was overthinking.

"Girl, you're working under one of the most successful and youngest CEOs, you should've expected that business means business and she wants nothing but the best. Don't think that she'll prioritize her hate and anger towards you. That's just... delusional."

I shouldn't have ranted to her when she's hungry since she becomes this very moody and a very straightforward person but I guess I needed that. Maybe I was being childish and was indeed overthinking. So I just sucked it up and worked harder not because I wanted to prove something to her but because I know I can do well in what I do. That I got in not because of luck but because I deserve to be work for them.

It's also been a month since Jisoo drove me home and despite what she offered, that was the first and last time I was inside her car. She occasionally sends me messages and sometimes drops by at my office but she doesn't stay for long. She's as busy as Lisa so I just remind her to take a rest and eat.

Upon the thought of food, my stomach grumbled. I took a peek at my watch and groaned. I haven't eaten anything since lunch and it was past my dinner. After scanning the documents I was reviewing, I realized that I was almost finished so I ignored my hunger and continued to work.

"Ms. Kim?" Someone knocked on my door and I looked up to see the old man who worked as a security.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry but I'll be closing the lights off now. Ms. Manoban said-"

I glanced at the clock and my eyes widened when it was already past ten thirty. "Oh. I'm sorry! I didn't notice the time."

"It's okay, ma'am. You're not the one who's left here."

I started to organize the files and carefully tucked them inside every folder. "What do you mean? Is there perhaps... A ghost here?" I joked trying to hide my embarassment since I think I was making his work harder for him.

He chuckled before helping me turn off the devices. "No, ma'am."

"No as in there are no ghosts here?"

"As for the ghosts, maybe? But I was referring to Ms. Manoban, Ms. Kim."

I momentarily paused before tidying my desk again. "The CEO is still here?"

When everything was set, I followed him outside and he pressed the elevator button. "Yes, ma'am. Sometimes, she sleeps here as well but I have seen her go home not long after you these past few days."

The elevator doors opened and we both stepped inside. "I see. She sleeps here? She's quite a workaholic, isn't she?"

"Yes, ma'am. However, she wasn't always like that. I've been here in this company since I was young so I have seen her grow up. She was shy and very timid before but when she took over this company, she was already different."

"She didn't immediately took over, right?"

"Yes, ma'am. She changed before she was appointed as the CEO."