Ch25: Pink

Felix's definition of 'somewhere private' turned out to a bench that overlooked the Seine, a narrow canal of glassy water lined with old stone walkways. In the distance, I could see the Notre-Dame Cathedral rising into a winter sky, surrounded by the golden light of lamp posts. Despite the icy sting in the air and the pain in my knees, I'd say I was in heaven!

So this was what it was like to sit with Felix on a romantic black steel bench, overlooking a romantic view, together in this romantic city of love!

I was melting on the inside - more so than usual. Why would he bring me somewhere that would 'trigger' my feelings for him? Did he know this was literally killing me?

Felix sat in a relaxed position with his legs crossed and his arm extended over the back of the bench as he drew a disposable coffee cup to his lips. He was actually pretty close to me. Closer than what I expected. If I were to sit back, his arm would be "around" me and we would look like a couple! Wild butterflies fluttered in my gut at the thought.

Was Felix changing his feelings towards me after all I'd done for him? Or did he merely want something? What did he wish to talk about and why would he take me all this way just to say it?

I waited patiently for Felix to speak. He was like the current of the Seine's canal - slow, unhurried, and still, while I was a mere engineless boat at the mercy of his unbearable pace. He would tell me when he was ready. Whenever that would be.

Meanwhile, the silence between us was filled with car engines and horns, the voices of passing walkers, chirping birds, and the canal's trickling water, all joining together in a chaotic symphony. It was miserable and almost overwhelming when the only sound I wanted to hear was Felix's deep, clear voice.

As if sensing my uneasiness, Felix lowered his coffee and sent me a side glance. His look was stern yet there was a certain 'softness' in his eyes that caused my breath to still.

"You're coming with me to the galla," he said matter-of-factly.

Wait a minute! The galla? The same gala Lila had told me about in the stairwell? Of course! There was no other galla. But why would he ask me? Unless, he was planning on doing business deals/networking and merely wanted me to follow him around to hold business cards and take notes for him. That would be cruel - but Felix was very good at being cruel.

My stomach sunk, but I guess I should be thankful. Going with Felix as a 'scribe' was better than not going at all. Still, I did want to know what role I would serve specifically.

"As your secretary," I clarified, gesturing with my hands.

"As my date," he said, his breath trailing into the air like a puff of smoke.

Did my heart just skip a beat or was I straight up having a heart attack?

Felix wanted little 'ol me to go as his date! This had to be the best thing that ever happened to me (especially since I'd never been asked out to prom or any dance during my high school years)!