Ch11: Infernal

After making it to my messy room, I shed off my layer of work clothes and tossed them on the ground along with two weeks worth of dirty clothes. Never before had my room been such a disaster with all my clothes and fashion projects scattered everywhere. I blamed it on the stress of dealing with Felix. One day, I would tidy up. When I had more energy.

I changed into my most comfy pajamas which consisted of a white tank top and silky bottoms. Grabbing the remote and turning off the lights, I flipped on the TV and sure enough my guilty pleasure show was on: Wonderous. Ironically it was about a girl who was a superhero, much like myself.

I nuzzled myself under the thick polka dot covers as I watched an episode I'd probable see five other times. This channel always played reruns which I found annoying. But after today, I just wanted to escape to a happy world with happy endings.

Despite the bright animated colors and cheery theme song that always pulled me in, I still felt strange. My mind couldn't connect. Why did I still feel like there was someone or something with me in this room? I'd thought this feeling would disappear after entering the safety of my home. But it was worse.

Lock the door. Shut the windows. Close the curtains. Hide.

Why? I was surprised by my gut's response. What a childish and cowardly thing to do. I was a superhero and had no business being afraid. Yet, some eerie tickle in my bones caused me to rise from my bed and obey my urge. After the curtains were closed and the lights were on, I felt a little better. But not quite.

Maybe this was my intuition and something was truly wrong. Maybe my body was trying to warn me of a hidden threat. I wasn't sure. Should I transform into Ladybug and go on a nightly patrol? No. It was late and I hadn't received any sort of Akuma alerts on my phone. Plus if someone had followed me home, transforming into Ladybug would blow my secret identity.

Bending over on my knees, I reached my hand under the bed, past several lonely socks, and grasped hold of the Miraculous box - ironically it was shaped like an oval and had no square structure. I wasn't sure why I even called it a box.

I should take an inventory and make sure that none of the Miraculouses were missing. Maybe then my strange feelings would leave me.

I hoisted the Ladybug-themed box onto my bed and the mat instantly sunk due to the weight. Opening the main compartment, I felt relief. Everything was still there.

My mind replayed Alya's comment about the Eel Miraculous. Now was my chance to look and see if it was real. My eyes scanned the Miraculouses, but no such one existed.

Must have been a myth. Who knew even Alya could get her facts wrong. Just in case, my hands felt around the smooth steel perimeter. In doing so, I noticed a slight crease near the bottom. After applying pressure, a new compartment slid open.

I felt a stabbing in my chest. Why was I trembling? Why was I suddenly afraid? Why did it feel like there was some type of dark entity in the air? All my earlier strange feelings intensified.

When I dared to look, I was met with a deteriorated compartment with a single black ring lying in the center. The ring was lined with specks of reflective navy stone.

Could this be it? The Eel? Would it erase my memory if I touched it?

My eyesight blurred as I reached out to lift it. I blinked feeling panic swirl inside. I should leave it alone. My eyesight returned when I shut the compartment.

How creepy. The man who gave me this box never once mentioned the Miraculous hidden at the bottom. Either way, I was done being curious for the night. I placed the box back under my bed, hoping the fear would leave. It didn't.

How could I possibly sleep now? My heart was beating too fast. Would it be childish if I slept in my parent's room? If I stayed here, I'd have to leave the lights and TV on all night.

I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was in my room. Like in a horror movie. Only when I went to sleep, it would crawl out from my closet and cut me in half with a chainsaw.

Marinette.

Would you like to be a god?

I surveyed my surroundings, startled by the voice.

No one.

Oh no. Now I was hearing voices in my head. Was I going insane?

I leaped into my bed and dove under the covers. This was all in my head. This was nothing more then a weary mind. I was just stressed about everything that happened today. Nothing more. My insanity would grow worse with sleeplessness. So I must try.

Think of something good and happy, I told myself. Distract yourself. My mind went to fashion shows as I imagined myself becoming a well-known designer. Like a little crab trying to crawl out of the ocean, only to be sucked back in by a new wave, my mind was pulled back into the roaring current of fear.

I still see you.

Goosebumps covered my body and I now felt paralyzed. No one was there. No one. Ghosts weren't real. Monsters weren't real. I was a superhero. I shouldn't be afraid.

Yet there was no way I could leave the perceived safety of the covers. Something good. Think of something good. Every thought I attempted to ease myself with was engulfed by some sort of dark entity looming over me.

I pleaded in my mind:

Someone please. Help me. Please. I can't move. I'm stuck. Will I die by the time I reach the door? I feel like I'm choking.

Who could save me? Who would be fearless in the face of a demon? Who would stand brave in the face of death?

"My life isn't worth yours."

Felix.

Those words.

I hadn't even processed them yet and I wasn't sure I understood the meaning.

He was terrible, cruel, and heartless. I wish he were here. I wish he would scold me and mock me for being childish. My fear of Felix would outweigh my fear of whatever was in my room. Yet the thought of him helped still the swirling in my mind.

I hugged a demon and survived

I hugged a demon and survived. Actually, he was worse than any demon or ghost.

We were so close and he was warm. Who knew Hell smelled so good? Who knew even the dead had a heartbeat?

I wished he would have hugged me back. I wished his arms would have drawn me closer. I wished the little cavity of space between us during the hug hadn't existed.

No.

It was inappropriate to think of my boss this way.

But regardless. If I could survive Felix. I could survive this.

"Whatever you are, leave me. I only fear Felix. Your torment is in vain. No one is worse than him."

I could finally breathe again.