Ch33: A Real Woman

Felix held my jaw in place with a single hand, his fingers digging into my cheeks as he forced me to look into his eyes. He was examining me, his intense gaze falling over every inch of my face.

My lips pursed as fat, warm tears glossed over his nails. It didn't hurt - in fact, it was strangely soothing in the midst of my raging emotion. We were so close that I wondered if this was going to turn into a kiss. He could so easily angle my chin towards him...after all, he had all the power to do with my lips and face what he wanted at this moment.

"When did I say that?" He asked sternly, his warm breath stinging the skin on my nose.

He released his grip (aka the muzzle) to allow me to speak. I took two steps back to give myself some room. My gaze instantly shifted to my feet. It was easier to speak my mind when I wasn't looking into those raging blue eyes.

"All the time! When you said I was the worst secretary and incompetent. You called me 'simple' which literally means stupid. And right now, you look at me like I'm a piece of trash and you hate me because you think I'm so unattractive," I exclaimed, snot trickling down my nose.

I tried to wipe it away with my wrist, but it was only creating a sticky mess. This was awful and embarrassing. Tears. Snot. Red face. Shaking body. I definitely was looking like a hot model. But the way he stared at me was even worse:

His eyes were telling me that I was pitiful and weak. That he was unimpressed. Or at least that's what I thought he was seeing. Unless I was just being paranoid and projecting the things I thought about myself onto other people. I wasn't even sure anymore.

"Perhaps I am a little harsh on you," he said, quickly blinking.

"A little?" I cried, a desperate gasp leaking past my teeth.

Felix took a deep breath and straightened his posture. Then he stepped towards me. I backed up until there was nowhere left to run. I was caged between a velvet red wall and a cotton candy Felix.

"Regardless, now is not the time to be in your head. I need strength from you," He said, pressing a loose bang behind my ear as his fingers skidded against the side of my temple. I shuttered, trying to fight the butterflies.

"Well, I need kindness from you! What's so wrong with my dress anyhow?" I said, smacking away his touch.

He scoffed, his mouth turning to a hesitant smirk.

"That's not..." he cut himself off and changed the topic, "Let's just go in."

When he began backing away from the wall, I clutched his suit jacket but quickly released it. The action was enough to earn his full attention again.

"No! Not when you won't tell me why you find me unattractive," I said.

"You really want to know what will make you attractive to me?" His eyes ran over my frame as if he was evaluating my appearance.

"Yes!"

He tilted his head, loose blond hair spreading across his forehead. My muscles tightened as he ran a hand down the side of my neck.

"Confidence," he said, his eyes noting my tense body, "And you're severely lacking at the moment."

So, in others words, he really did think I was unattractive. Fresh tears bubbled and fell. I hated crying so much. It was the ultimate sign of weakness. And I was very weak tonight.

"Listen. If you can't find confidence in yourself, find it in here," he reached out and placed a warm finger near my left collar bone.

"In my heart?" I asked.