Ch43: Christmas Present

I did the very thing I thought was impossible: I fell asleep on Felix's lap.

My eyes popped open to find I'd rolled to my side and was clutching Felix's blazer. He had one hand placed on my head, and the other holding a book that he seemed to be reading. How cozy! The room was dark, only lit by city lights and the old lamp next to the couch. I could see a halo of dust glowing around the lamp. When was the last time this room had been properly cleaned? Perhaps a better question: when was the last time Felix slept here?

He didn't realize I was awake yet and I didn't want to ruin this comfy moment. So, I fake slept. Felix tenderly stroked my head, as he flipped through yellowed pages with his thumb. Must be an old book. The cover read Paradise Lost by John Milton. I fought the urge to smile - my man was a classical fellow. Who would actually read that book for fun? Certainly not me.

His fingers traced my earlobe, stroking it in a comforting way. Oh my gosh, he was killing me! And to think I slept through most of this! Actions don't come about unless previously thought - to think Felix had all these tender thoughts towards me warmed my insides like marshmallows melting on an open fire.

"You're finally awake," Felix said, removing his hands, and setting down his book.

"What time is it?" I asked, feeling paranoid from the double chin I must have from this angle.

"9pm."

"What? I slept that long?"

"It's fine. I almost finished my book," Felix said - his expression was so relaxed and he seemed almost happy.

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"You looked tired. Plus, your snoring made good background noise for my reading," Felix shrugged.

"I don't snore," I huffed.

"Hey, I'm not judging you. I didn't mind," he said.

I sat myself up, feeling a little dizzy in my inner ear from the position change.

"I guess I should go," I said, rubbing my head.

"You don't have to - if you wanted to stay longer that's fine with me," Felix casually said, "I don't care."

Obviously, he did care.

"I've already been here four hours," I said, fixing my ruffled hair, "I don't want to overstay my welcome."

"You're not," Felix said a little too quickly, "I'm just saying since your here, there's no rush to leave."

He now looked a little bashful, as he glanced at the floor. He and I both knew he wanted me to stay. Badly. It donned on me that this was the first time Felix and I were hanging out without a purpose or mission. Usually work was my justification for being in his presence. But today, we were together simply because we wanted to. This was new. Was Felix embarrassed? In a way, this was his first time saying (without actually saying) he liked being around me. Or at least the loneliness in him liked me. 

"Alright. I just need to get home by 10:30," I said, attempting to hide a growing grin.

"That's fair," he said, trying to act disengaged.

"What do you want to do?" I asked, wiggling my thumbs together.

"Nothing in particular," he said, shrugging as he leaned back on the couch.

"Well that sounds boring," I sighed.

"What can I say? I'm a boring person," Felix said, flatly, "As you already know."

I wracked my brain over some things we could do. For some reason, kissing under a mistletoe was the first thing that came to my mind. Oh, what a happy, wonderful, magical thought. But no. I had to fight the urge to smile or blush.